Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral knee surgery  (Read 9926 times)

Offline Pauljohno

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Bilateral knee surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »
Just about at the 9 month's stage, apart from getting the flu a couple of weeks back, which really set me back. I must say I am quite happy at were I am.
Just about at the stage were I forget my walking stick, which I only carry went out as a comfort. It's been weeks since I clicked my weaker right knee back and needed my stick for real.
Work is so busy I struggle to get to the gym during the week and have to make do with weekends only.
Big point for me was going to my Allotment (paid for garden) a few weeks back with the intention of just having a look, before I picked up a spade to try and dig.
Thought sod it gave it a go and I can dig as fast and as well as I could before, and I never thought I would ever be able to dig again.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
Hope there are people still monitoring this thread.  Ruptured both patellar tendons on 7/19/13, had surgery on 7/21 and was released from the rehab hospital in St. Louis on 7/31 after insurance said I was doing to well with PT and did not need any more acute care.

Both tendons ruptured at the bottom of the patella.  Surgeon had to drill holes into kneecap to reattach the tendons.  Immobilized both knees.  I am able to bear some weight, but use crutches and walker.  Looking for good information on rehab and recovery.  Have been doing passive knee bends as insurance felt that CPM machine was medically necessary since I did not have replacement surgery.

Glad to join an exclusive club.  Anyone know of exactly how many other bilateral patellar tendon ruptures you or your doctor might have heard of.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 208
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
Hi Tom

As I have mentioned on the RPT thread, I have heard of about 5 or 6 bilateral ruptured tendons in the last 10 years.   I know from my Orthopaedic Consultant, who is a Professor claimed that I wsas his only patient with a RPT injury in 28 years.

May I also suggest, that you have a look on Amazon for leg folding mini florr pedal exerciser - cost about $40 but worth every cent.

Take care and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the floor pedaling device.  They were actually on sale at a local store and I picked one up for about $30 US.  I am going to use it right now for some cadiovascular exercise with my arms since I am still waiting on my first follow up with the OS and PT is only in home.  I have found that ice and elevation are to of the best things for me.  15-20 times per day for 20 minutes.  Letting my knees passively extend feels good also.
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Pauljohno

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
Guess it's time for an update yesterday was 19 months since the great rip off.
I would have to say I could not be happier, although it has been very, very slow, even going down stairs has become easier, with only very clicky knees to show for it.
I have been going to the gym and exercising my legs from the point I could legally  ;) drive a car. Managed to keep this up and get there on average at least twice a week. I can now do leg extensions with a fair bit of weight on the machine, leg presses etc are a doddle. Do lunges, free squats and a full range of quad and hamstring work.
I have left the Local Authority and gone out on my own, this means lots of driving, which thankfully up to now has not been a problem. Before I decided to leave the LA I went to see my GP last July having had no follow ups from the magic NHS. I wanted to see if he felt I was fit enough to give regular employment? He said he thought I was, however he would send me for X-Rays as a just see measure. This Experience was typical NHS with the Radiographer speaking to me like S***. I went back to the GP for the results not knowing what to expect. My GP is a Fat Lad, younger than me who has had both knee replaced. He said that my X-rays showed accute wear and tear in all departments and in his opinion I needed 2 total replacements.
My responce was, You have to be F***** joking, a year of pain to get to that stage and then to start again forget it. He agreed to send my private and what a difference with how the rich folk live. The Consultant asked me what I had done, did a few stretches and bends and asked me if I had, had a MRI :P He completed this himself based on my returned look, with 'No you haven't, have you' Just pop to the reception, book one and tell them to make an apppointment to see me 7 days after that, Friday OK for you Mr Johnson said the receptionist WHAT :) The consultant said that Rec Fems were not firing, I could see that and he suggested EMS. I had bought a cheapo machine off Ebay that clearly was not strong enough, after 2 session on t propper job I could see the benefits. The Physio had worked for the NHS and his comment was we just gave exercise sheets and sent them away. I went back to the Consultant after the marathon MRI experience, 2 hours in the thing :( He showed me the MRI clear scaring on the repairs, however they had knitted back well. He could find no other damage and said with the beautiful words keep working your quads get them and keep them strong and you knees have years in them :'( :) :) :) :'(. He could give me no reason what so ever as to why I had done the double, just one of those things and if he had X-rays on his knees they would show the same wear and tear as mine. Best day of my recent life, until my wife went to the Pub and locked me out of the house (I was in the garage and she had locked the back door, Oh I was cross.)
I had a few more EMS sessions but work and availablity stopped that. I tried using a friend who owed me lots of Favours, who does sports massage. Expecting to relax and fall asleep on the table, I could not believe the pain when they did my left leg. Expecting the same on my right, it was clear how much the nerves in my right leg were lagging.
Only had one more session with him as repaying my favours meant charging me their full rate :(
I have only used got to the stage when I can feel my Rec Fems when I exercise, they respond and ache afterwards, so it can only get better from now on.
What have I learnt? Keep at it and expect it to take a long time, I would now go private, use EMS, use Massage, if I could have afforded it.

Offline Pauljohno

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 05:24:09 PM »
I thought I would give an update after what as been 4+ years now.
I did finally pay and went private with a view to see if my injuries would stop me passing the medical to live in NZ?
Tendons knitted well on the MRI small tear on one meniscus , no other damage which supprised me. The great man I saw could give me no reason they had both gone twang! He said keep your quads strong and your knees have years in them. This was after my GP had told me I needed two total knee replacements, just after I had passed the one year post op stage.
Pleased to say that I passed the medical and all in all I could not be happier how my knees and legs now are. Still getting better everyday with exercise and stretching, small improvement still happens and I think it's only going to keep doing so.
I can do exercises and stretch further than I thought would be ever possible at the fixed at 30 leg braces stage.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
Great job..
I am still in the middle of it.  Reinforced wire coming out this week and the  exercise and rom exercises to hopefully get it back to normal. Week 8 and rom at about 95-98.
Quads are okay.. getting stronger with muscle stim and walking around in brace ( without crutches)..