Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help - fat pad & popping noise  (Read 809 times)

Offline PocketRocket

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help - fat pad & popping noise
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
Hi,

After injuring my right knee whilst running over 20 years ago, I finally decided to get a MRI done this year. This came back with deep infrapatellar bursa/inflamation of my fat pad in my right knee.

Also, in the last 3 years, after slipping down a few steps of our stairs, I've also had a problem with tightness/knotting in my right hand side that basically spans from my right upper back as far down to my right IT band and calf. I think all of this tightness is being caused by a tight right glute.

Now when my right knee is under strain i.e. climbing the stairs/performing one legged squats, I get an audible click/popping in my right knee at the point where my right leg is just about to straigthen. Sometimes this audible click/popping can be worse from one day to the next.

My question is, what could this audible click/popping be coming from somewhere in my knee (I've tried to locate it but can't). Is it related to my knee or could it be my right ITB band which my physio has advised is also tight.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:45:11 AM by PocketRocket »

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help - fat pad & popping noise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
It could be patella maltracking that is causing the clicking sound just as your straighten your leg. Have you ever had sunrise x-rays done? They could show you the position of the patella in the femoral groove. I don't know if the IT band ever clicks like that.

One legged squats are a bad idea IMO. They are cruel to the knees.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

support