Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee pain at bottom of squat  (Read 8152 times)

Offline philfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain at bottom of squat
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
hello,

I get an acute stinging pain across the front of my left knee when I am deep into a squat.  It is at that very first part of stangding up that I get the pain.  It is also very bad at the very beginning of a leg extension.  I have stopped doing leg extensions due to the pain and only started doing light squats once I could crouch using my bodywieght.

I also get pain going up stirs two at a time and when I am sitting and bring my knee to my chest when I try to extend it it feels locked and clicks a bit when I straighten it.

It really bothers me so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Phil

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: knee pain at bottom of squat
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Phil, do you get the same pain walking down slopes / hills?  You could have a torn meniscus.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline philfer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
Hi,

Going downstairs or downhill isnt that bad.  It feels a bit weak but no pain really.  It is just going upstairs and at the beginning part of a movement when the knee is bent i.e. the standing up from squat or straightening in leg exptension when the knee is completely bent

Thanks
Phil

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
It could be a meniscus tear, I'm no Doc, but I think that is less likely.

It sounds like anterior knee pain, and something to do with patella tracking.  Is the 'click' as if your kneecap is moving back into place?

I would avoid deep squatting and movements that aggravate the situation.  You may want to see a Physiotherapist for advice, and to assess your knee as well as your lower limb alignment.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »
Squats are usually terrible for those with knee issues. If you really want to keep your quads fit, try doing wall sits instead. They are much less stressful for the knees. But I second yb, a professional opinion is needed before it might get worse.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
Stop deep squatting. I know people in bodybuilding forums can't shut up about squats, but if you're having patella tendon issues (that's my guess here), the lower the squat the greater the stress on that tendon. In any case, it's worth seeing a doc.

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »
tenderness along the lateral joint line? or around the tibial attachment of the PT ?
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline dadxfour

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
For those who say stop squatting, ignore them.  I am no bodybuilder, but have squatted for years.  I use proper form and never go below parallel.  In a post op following a simple meniscus clean up, my doc casually mentioned the fact I have no ACL...WTH!  I was shocked to learn this, but he said based on what he could see, I probably have not had one in years.  Yet during those years I actively played rugby (as a prop), racquetball, squash, basketball, and golf.  My doc was shocked I could do all these and also shocked my knee displays no instability.  Thank goodness I never neglected the king of exercises (aka squat), or deadlifts, lunges, and stiff legged dead lifts.  My beefy quads and hams have kept my knee stable without an ACL.  That being said, a safe alternative to traditional squats is the box squat:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Perform-Box-Squats-217364467

Box squats give you the same benefit as squats, but protect you from going too deep; they also force you to keep your knees behind your toes.  Getting up from a box squat is a killer too...even more of a burn than a squat.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
^ Working through the pain the original poster, philfer, has reported may not be safe.

Philfer, see a Doctor and/or Physiotherapist.

Nobody is saying to stop squatting.  What we are saying is get medical advice from a Doctor instead of ignoring the pain response your body is giving you.  I would advise you to avoid the painful activity, at least in the short-term until you get proper medical advice.

Offline dadxfour

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Yes, see a doctor by all means.  But get back to squats as long as the form is proper.  I've multiple meniscus tears on both knees and this sounds quite like a meniscus issues.  Most of the time I would feel pain on the outside of my knee.  However, when squatting the pain would radiate to the front like the poster described.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »
Squats multiply the body weight that is put on the knees by a factor greater than 1. Anecdotal evidence such as what you present is not enough to tell someone whether they should or should not do an exercise. Only good PTs know which exercises are safe for bad knees. For example, I was prescribed leg extensions which are usually really bad for people with kneecap problems, but not in my case. However, I would not advise anyone with knee pain to go ahead and try leg extensions to keep the quads in shape.

Also, quads and hamstrings are not enough for the knee to be healthy - hip muscles are vital too.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.