Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Tear and g2MCL = Hamstring Recon w/ Fares Haddad  (Read 2899 times)

Offline z4chris99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Tear and g2MCL = Hamstring Recon w/ Fares Haddad
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »
Evening all, sitting here on the sofa bored post op thought i would start a diary.

feb 29th:
Was playing rugby and was running when i was hit hard to the right knee when i was fully weight bearing, hear a loud tear and lots of pain! was on the ground there for about 5 mins and then moved to the edge of the pitch where i iced the knee for about 30 mins then strapped it. I knew exactly what i had done as loud tearing noises and knee pain arnt usually good! I stupidly drove for an hour home in the most pain ever and then went to A&E where i was told i had MCL damage and nothing on the Xray, i was sent home like this:

This was my knee, a bit fat!

5th March: went back to see the NHS consultant at the royal london hospital in east london. he did a few tests, booked an MRI and sent me home in a 0-90 brace. So i looked like this now:

28th March: MRI day, pretty non event. I was able to talk not too badly at this stage and was still wearing my brace, some days i used a crutch.

April 16th: See the NHS guy again and he confirms ACL tear, and MCL sprain, suspects some other little damage. as detailed below:

"There is a extensive bone marrow oedema in a pivot shift pattern. There is bone marrow oedema within the left distal lateral femur lateral tibia and fibula head and inferior patellar. There is a moderate knee effusion but no synovitis. There is a tear of the medial patellofemoral ligament at the femoral attachment. The patellar
attachment is intact.

Acute tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. The posteriro cruciate ligament is intact. There is a grade 2 sprain of the MCL. Lateral collateral ligament biceps
femoris, ITB and conjoint tendon are intact. Menisci are normal. The medial and lateral compartment cartilage is normal. Retropatellar chondral surface is normal. Quadriceps expansion, patellar tendon and Hoffa's fat pad appears normal.

Posterolateral corner structures appear normal.

Conclusion"
Anterior cruciate ligament rupture. MCL sprain. Medial patellofemoral ligament tear.
Possibility of patellar dislocation as was as pivot shift mechanism."

May 3rd: Stop wearing my brace.

May 17th: Decide to go private, first app with Fares Haddad at the Princess Grace Hospital, he shows me my MRI etc and books me in for the 26th may surgery.

May 24th: first physio pre hab.

May 26th: Surgery Day! had to be there at 6.30am, pretty scared but the hospital is nice, met the guys and went into theathre at about 9.30, woke up at 12.15 in lots of pain, hit the morphine hard. (then watched the F1 quali) was on morphine all that day, (couldnt piss, horrible dry mouth, itchy and very dizzy)

Looked like this:

pre:

May 27th: home from hospital at about 12.30pm in time for the F1 race. in lots of pain but taking dihydrocodine 30mg (x2 if the pain was bad) 1000mg paracetamol and also diplofenic.

May 28th: The pain isnt too bad, the knee is very sore and stiff but the pain is ok, leg looks like this:

may 31st: first post op physio, basic exercises. took me ages to get there and walking on the crutches was hard, the biggest problem was flinches and tightness in the top of the hamstring. really really hurt. my flexion was good but my extension not full yet.

today, 3rd june: 8 days post op now, the pain is on and off, i can walk if i wanted to short distances but the knee is painfull. spending most of the day on the sofa with ice and doing basic exercises. I dont find i need the crutches to walk the 5m to the loo or fridge. I had to go to the shop about 60m away and put on a fabric brace as i was worried but with the crutches it wasnt bad at all. Flexion is great no real problems, extension still not full. it almost feels like it wont go that far no matter how hard i try. im almost a bit worried that it feels too goo as the bruise isnt massive and i could easily walk if i wanted to.

knee looks like this now:

thats it now, more news soon.

Offline z4chris99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL Tear and g2MCL = Hamstring Recon w/ Fares Haddad
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »
Day 9

done my morning stretches, still cant fully extend. Had a really weird muscle twitch in my knee last night, kind of like the one you get in your eyebrow! took me ages to get to sleep because of it. had some painkillers this morning as was in alot of pain after the physio. time to sit on the sofa and ice!

Offline z4chris99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Day 11;

stitches out today, she said bruising and healing was great.  still can't extend and have a slight tingling and burning on the front of my knee. really hurts sometimes.

I got some more drugs today too. woop.

cryo cuff arrived this morning, its great. doesn't feel too cold but if you put your finger under it it's freezing

Offline NIGAV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »
i must have had disolvable stiches as i didnt have to get them out.   :) Have you been given the all clear to swim yet?  i was given the go ahead at 12 days when the wounds had healed completely.  I felt it really helped. every time id finished in the pool my knee felt great and really got the movement goin again. Are you just keeping your heal elevated whilst lyin on the couch and letting gravity straighten the knee or are you onto prone knee hangs yet?
good luck
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:41:17 PM by NIGAV »
full ACL tear 19/06/2010 motocross incident
MRI scan 20/03/2011
onto waiting list 19/04/2011
surgery 11/01/2012

Offline z4chris99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
Day 19

First time on a bike and a rower today, did a really light 5 minutes on each with my physio, the knee is killing now 5 hours later however,

im back at work and sitting all day doesnt help much but have tomorrow off so a good rest day to look forward to, well nearly rest. I have to do a very light 10 mins on the bike and on the rower. once a day over the next three days and see the physio again on day 22

All bandages off and everything,

Offline bungalowbill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
Hi z4Chris,

I was just reading your story. I'm going for ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair / trip on June 27th. Starting to get nervous now but also looking forward to getting this knee injury behind me.

Looking forward to hearing your update. I should have some of my own soon.

BBill

Offline z4chris99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
God know what day im on now.. but thought i should update it.

My knee is just about straight, my setback was having the NHS f**k around for 3 months post injury before my OP and being braced for so long my leg just wasted away, so building up the muscles has taken longer than expected..

Im at physio twice a week, on a monday and friday which is working well and i go my own gym stuff during the week and weekend.

I can cycle well now, usually do between 30 and 60 mins.

leg press, hamstring curls, balancing, squats one leg etc, loads of nice fun stuff.

stick at it.