Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nate's Derotational Tibial Osteotomy (Proximal and Distal) 05-30-12  (Read 24560 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Nate's Derotational Tibial Osteotomy (Proximal and Distal) 05-30-12
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the update Nate. Glad to read that you have had some progress in getting back to a more normal life--hitting golf balls, showering normally are all awesome advances. It's a long road to the finish, but you are closer to the end than the beginning.

I found that a lot of my lingering issues improved greatly--or went away completely--after hardware removal. I'm hoping that will be the same for you.

Res up and keep it up. These big surgeries aren't easy but we just have to work through them one step at a time and remember that over the long haul, there will be a point where you look at where you are and where you came from and smile from ear to ear.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline natenix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Crankerchick.  You have been a great help through the whole process.  I don't think I would have ever found doc if you hadn't journaled so much about your experience.  I think I wouldn't have had near the success I have had if I had gone with the doctor I was initially considering going to. 
Hardware removal so far has been a cake walk compared to having the initial procedures.  Swelling has been much less, I was walking no crutches the day of surgery (though I didnít go far as I stayed in the hospital that night).  The day I was released from the hospital I was able to drive a stick shift around Denton Texas.  The thing for me that is bigger than the pain is simply the fear that if I push things to much I could have fractures that would run between screw holes or that my screw holes would cave in.  I do have  a little pain in my ankle and in my knee, I canít discern if it is bone, ligament, muscle, I just donít know but it isnít bad.  I did notice that the pain that was there when I would try and articulate and push off my ankle is gone now that my ankle plate is gone.  Thankful for that!  My back was also pretty sore the first two days from the epidural, thatís bettter now.  Doc has cleared me for gym exercises etc. beginning monday.  I am looking forward to that, and canít wait till I can swing a golf club and run again.  I may not post again for a while as I donít anticipate much thatís post worthy, but would say if you are considering having a derotational osteotomy or your bowlegged or duckfooted or pigeon toed and itís causing major problems,  itís worth it to look into doc Mark Sanders at the sanders clinic in Houston Texas.  I am very glad I did.  As I was walking around tonight though there is still a hobble here and there from the hardware removal walking just feels right.  My feet that used to have so many problems feel like they are moving like they were made to move.  My toe pain is subsiding.  Itís very encouraging.  I Ďm sure there will be some down days between now and when I run again, but you got to record the encouraging days, right!

Offline iwillwalkagain

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »
Dear Nate,

I am curious to hear how you are doing?  I am having foot and knee issues at the same time and am curious to hear if you have advice on how to address them as I am worried that doing a procedure on one will hurt the other.  How was your rehab influenced by having more than one serious problem at the same time?

Thanks,

Nick

support