Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 ligaments + meniscus tear + fracture-----whats my prognosis?  (Read 960 times)

Offline bustedkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
35 m from canada here - playing squash i rotated on my knee, I have torn my ACL with meniscus tear on my other knee 2 years ago as well and this injury sounded similar - best case scenario I hoped I had just torn some meniscus and could get a menisectomy done and go on with life. MRI results came back yesterdaysa and the doc gave me a copy - much worse than I thought

Verbatim copy:
IMPRESSION: Severe injury including anterior cruciate ligament tear, medial collateral ligament tear, medial menisus tear, lateral collteral ligament sprain, posterolateral corner injury, compression fracture of the lateral femoral condyle.

I'm extremely worried, worse I've been putting weight on this knee not knowing the seriousness of the injury. I can't afford to take time off work.

Questions:

Has anyone had something similar ? fracture + ligament tear?
Do i risk deteriorating my knee by putting weight on it? The knee is permanently locked but i don't feel that much pain - right now I walk  in a gimp locked position, don't feel the knee deteriorating further - it just feels sore.  Ideally , i'd like to delay the surgery if I can as work is too busy and i'd feel very guilty leaving the program I'm leading and deserting my team.
I'm going to see the same doc who did my ACL repair in 4 days but the suspense is killing me....

Any comments would be appreciated. Just really frustrated with the whole thing - I can't imagine sitting on the couch either for the next few months and already feel disgusted not doing sports, working out etc.

Thanks

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: 2 ligaments + meniscus tear + fracture-----whats my prognosis?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »
I am sorry for your situation and I am sorry that I don't have the same experience. What I can provide input on is to take care of yourself first. I made that mistake and I am at 9 months post op and still struggleing.  I am a work a holic but have had to change that to take care of myself.  You are the only one that can make the call but weigh Your future too!

Best of luck.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline bustedkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
Hi Maverick - thanks for your comments - yes you are right, one's health should come before anything else.  I just feel said seeing my life derailed, I started a new job, was doing well and was being given more and more responsibility, so feel that I'd be really abandoning everyone. Oh well, it is what it is.

I see you have gone through your own share of surgeries, but you should be glad you don't have the same experience!

I noticed though that you had a microfracture surgery for your lateral femoral condyle? Was yours a compression fracture as well?

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »
My microfracture was my latest surgery along with the meniscectomy. Recovery and rehab is 9-12 months. The microfracture surgery was to address a grade 4, bone on bone, cartilage situation.

I had surgery in Sept and just started a new engagement in July. They understood my need to work 3 days a week for a few months until I was better.

1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
wow that sounds so painful i wish you all the  best in a speedy recovery