Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL injury  (Read 787 times)

Offline Bfica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL injury
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
I hyperextended my knee about a month and half ago. The MRI results show microscopic fractures in the femur and tibia and my ACL is splayed but not torn completely. Two weeks ago I was told another 6 to 8 weeks to recover. I recently had some pain and burning behind my knee which later lead to some bruising and swelling. I can walk but with a slight limp but I cannot fully extend that leg whille walking because it feels like it wont stop (hyperextending).  Is this normal in the healing process? Would the bruising be from the healing of the ACL? I've never had a knee injury like this and would most certainly appreciate any answers given. Thanks.

Offline bustedkneeguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL injury
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
It doesn't seem like your knee is stable....are you planning on conservative measures and not getting any surgery done for the ACL? I understand that this is an option for partial ACL tears....what does your doc say?

Offline Bfica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »
The dr told me rest, ice, compression and elevate. She told me not to do any more than necessary and try to keep the swelling down. She was hoping with time it would heal and begin to stabilize. Everything that I have read about ACL tears etc, I have the option of having surgery but it is not always the best depending on my acticvity level. I'm 39 years old and do not participate in any kind of sports but my job requires me to do lots of walking and climbing on uneven surfaces for extended periods of time. Would it be best to have surgery to repair this? It's been 2 months since the injury and I still cannot fully extend my leg while walking. Is this something that would take a long period of time to heal, if it does?

Offline Bfica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »
I forgot to add this part, I do have an appointment to see her this week.