Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 60% re-tear of ACL  (Read 802 times)

Offline HovaK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
60% re-tear of ACL
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Hello,

I had a left knee allograft ACL recon 13 months ago.  About a month ago I injured my knee playing basketball.  MRI showed the following:

- 60% re-tear of ACL
- Medial meniscus irregularities
- MCL Strain

Surgeon's diagnosis was no laxity in my knee, and the MRI was inconclusive regarding the partial tear of the ACL. 
Surgeon recommended strengthening hams and quads and returning to sports in a month.  He said I should start getting use to the idea of having a scope and possibly redo the reconstruction if knee continues to give me problems.

Has anyone been in this situation?  I play basketball.  Is it just a matter of time before I completely rupture my ACL and need another surgery?

Thanks in advance,
cheers!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: 60% re-tear of ACL
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Is there a possibility of giving up basketball for more than a month and switching to a sport that is less taxing on the knee?
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: 60% re-tear of ACL
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:38 AM »
I've heard allograft for ACL is not as effective as autograft ... but there are varying opinions on this, and I cannot give you anything conclusive.  Still, it might be something to ask your OS.   I guess an autograft carries other risks of possibly compromising some other area of your knee.

The other thing to possibly explore is the varying ways ACL reconstructions can be done.  This might be of interest:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2455

support