Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: still have knee pain!  (Read 1055 times)

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
still have knee pain!
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
Ive not been around for a few weeks, had a few problems at home!!

Been seeing the physio every week since my LR surgery on 2 april, the pain subsided for a while, but the last 2 weeks have been a nightmare! back to pain killers from the dr. Ive just got back from pyshio and hes now trying ultra sound pain management for a few weeks, if no joy then he wants to try acupuncture..

he said some people just have to suffer until they're old enough for KR surgery, and as i have grade 3 osteoarthritis i'll probably end up there in time :-(

has anyone had any success with ultrasound pain management or acupuncture?

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: still have knee pain!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Hope you get some replies on the acupuncture. My osteopath has suggested acupuncture to release my frozen shoulder and I'm wondering if it will also be beneficial to help with my ROM on my knee.

Next due to see my osteo on 12th June, so won't go for acupuncture until after that. Will let you know how it goes.
19th Feb 2012 Damaged knee falling off horse, banged leg on jump
18th Apr 2012 MRI indicated significant bone bruising
30th Apr 2012 EUA arthroscopy, MUA, MFX medial femoral condyle
17th Jul 2012 Cortisone injection into Fat Pad

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
I have had success with ultra sound treatments for both my LR and my MFX by my PT.  The ultra sound treatments worked best for my LR where the TENS unit works best for my MFX.

Good luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Thanks guys..

will be interesting to hear how it goes PonyExpress, im getting fed up of pain killers now!!

Maverick, can i ask how long it took you to have any results from the ultra sound treatment

kirbs xx

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
Kirby, the pain resided almost immediately.  Note that I said resided, not gone.  The ultra sound helped take the edge off but it only lasted for a short time.  That is why my PT tried the TENS unit for my MFX.  I don't like the pain meds either, that is another reason I got the TENS unit.

I hope that this helps.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
I had my ultra sound this morning at 10, and its not really done anything to even subside it.. may take a few goes!!
Im going to ask about the TENS machine if the acupuncture doesnt work, i want to stay off the pain meds if i can, i take enough medication as it is!!

Offline JintsLady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
Hi All,
Just wanted to add my two cents about acupuncture.  I had acupuncture a few months after my first ACL reconstruction in '05.  I felt it helped immensely.  At first I went twice a week but that was cost prohibitive for me so I dropped down to once a week.  I think I went for a total of 2 1/2 months.  Hope this helps.  If you have any questions let me know.

Good luck, I hope you find relief soon.

Jo
6/05 L ACL tear
8/05 L ACL recon hamstring autograft
3/12 R ACL tear
5/12 R ACL recon hamstring autograft/allograft combo, lateral meniscus trim

Offline P.Row

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
I have heard Ultrasound can produce good results, but I would also recommend looking into AposTherapy. It worked well for me, and I have seen a few others on here have had similar results. Thankfully saved me from a total KR  ;D. It is not on the NHS yet but I consider the cost a small price to pay in comparison to what I have been paying for bloody painkillers over the past few years!Hope this offers another option from KR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQ6po7pcOM