Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery scars and sunshine!  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Surgery scars and sunshine!
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
So, England is having a heat wave at last! I'm 10 weeks post op with some quite large scars down the front of my knee. I'm sitting in the sun....should I protect the scars any more/differently than the rest of my skin?
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline smileyshaz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Surgery scars and sunshine!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:40 PM »
Hi there, I would use a higher factor suncream, or a sunblock, on your scars, or just make sure you keep them covered, at least for this year till they've had a chance to heal properly.

From reading around online it seems that scars are much more sensitive to sunlight than normal skin and at greater risk of burning - and once they are sunburnt they may remain dark, rather than fading, and will not return to the same colour as your healthy skin.

Hope that helps, enjoy our heatwave while it lasts!
Sharon x
Words of wisdom from my consultant "Remember why you're called a patient!"
5/10/11 - Right TPF (grade 6)
10/10/11 - Surgery then CPM machine
13/10/11 - Plaster brace
15/10/11 - Home
27/10/11 - Clips out
24/11/11 - Smaller brace, teeny bit weightbearing!
28/12/11 - Brace gone, wbat
26/04/12 - Work

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:24:14 AM »
Hello Rothera,
I'm in Florida, the Sunshine State!  A couple of years ago I had surgery on both feet.  After, I made sure my feet were covered when I was out in the sun for any prolonged time.  You would need to get pretty close to see the scars on my feet.  I'm doing the same with my knee.  I don't trust putting sun block alone.  I cover the scars completely. 
Good healing!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Yes, you need to be very careful to protect the scars from the sun. I was warned by both my surgeon and PT about this after surgery, since I also had mine in the middle of a heatwave at the start of summer. Either keep them completely covered (I tried to do this whenever possible) or use a very high factor sunblock to make sure they don't get sun damaged while they're healing.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA