Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any thoughts?  (Read 953 times)

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
any thoughts?
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I found out my knee has cartilage missing under the cap. The lateral release/chondroplasty done 14m ago was working until I fell in January. I'm in a decent amount of pain w/ swelling. I'm allergic to all of the anti-inflammatories my allergistS could think of. PT is going well, but doesn't do the trick, only about 60% improvement over the last month. I still have cap instability. :/ I learned yesterday that my IT band is so tight and compensates for other muscles.

Has anyone experienced this? is there a positive end in sight?

-K
*Kay*
'Runners' knee > Lateral Release 3/11
Minor Meniscus tear > clip 3/11
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
MRI > Cartilage missing = Cortisone + PT 5/12
Arthroscopy > cartilage missing, meniscus tear, & misalignment 8/12
TTO/ACI 10/13
Healing....for now :)
instability :/

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
Re: any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
does you kneecap feel unstable laterally or medially?  or both?

I had an LR that caused bi-directional or multi-directional instability ... I had an allografts of MPFL / LPFL to stabilize it again.

My cartilage wasn't in terrible shape, so nothing was done with it, there might be some other options for the cartilage.

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »
Lateral instability. I was doing simple non-weight baring - knee moving activities, and it was snapping over to the outside. I'm known at PT for my rock hard IT bands...said to be part of the cause. :/ He wants to go in and shave down the roughness, if this PT doesn't work. Ugh, I'm just sick of hurting.

what does this "I had an allografts of MPFL / LPFL to stabilize it again" mean?

K
*Kay*
'Runners' knee > Lateral Release 3/11
Minor Meniscus tear > clip 3/11
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
MRI > Cartilage missing = Cortisone + PT 5/12
Arthroscopy > cartilage missing, meniscus tear, & misalignment 8/12
TTO/ACI 10/13
Healing....for now :)
instability :/

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
MPFL = medial patello-femoral ligament
LPFL = lateral patello-femoral ligament

They act kind of like 'check reigns' to keep the kneecap from subluxing or dislocating.

Allografts are tissues taken from a cadaver.  In my case it was hamstring allografts to rebuild the MPFL and LPFL.  My MPFL was torn in a dislocation, and then the lateral release was unfortunately the wrong surgery for me, and I had to get that rebuilt too.

Your treatment may need to be a lot different, because the causes of patella maltracking can be complex and with many factors.

I also had chondroplasty done, unfortunately it didn't correct the problem.  It did remove some irritation, but ulitmately the same maltracking problem was there and then I saw a Surgeon who had specialized in patello-femoral disorders.  For me the MPFL / LPFL is working out.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 03:46:29 AM »
Are you able to eat ginger?  I have been on anti-inflammatories for over 20 years and about a year ago after reading about it I tried ginger capsules for a couple of months in between prescriptions.  Three capsules a day taken with meals worked about as well as a maximum prescription dose of Motrin.  They were a little rough on my stomach if it wasn't with a full meal, but they certainly might be a reasonable alternative for you.

Hope this give you another alternative for pain.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support