Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fulkerson srew removal  (Read 682 times)

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson srew removal
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
Im set up to have my screws removed in 2 weeks and was wondering what is the recovery.. Will I be able to bare weight, be on crutches? Im not really sure what to expect. I just set it up today after I saw my OS last week so Im unsure of the whole thing and hate having the tought of going through surgery again. Any imput or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Fulkerson srew removal
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
It's no big deal.  Outpatient procedure takes about 20 min total,  Light Sedation (you won't know what is going on),  weight bearing right after no crutches,  and very little if any pain just some discomfort.  I went back to work the next day.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:12 AM »
It is very simple!  I had my screws removed 6 months after my fulkerson surgery so I was on crutches for a week and was in a hinged brace for a month because my OS wanted to make sure I didn't do any damage to the osteotomy site.  But the surgery was fast and simple! 

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. Ive had my screws in now for almsot 2 years. Im really hoping im weight baring as I really suck at using crutches. Im nervous but I keep telling myself if I could withstand the Fulkerson surgery and then 11 months later breaking that same leg in 4 places  at the knee that I can deal with screw removal. I have been through so much with this leg and instead of it getting better.. its getting worse.. The screw removal is one of 2 surgeris Im going to need on this leg/knee. The Fulkerson was not really planned.. a lateral release was..My old OS said that my knee was 2 far gone and did the Fulkerson. I had a HORRIBLE experience with it and permanant damage from it as all so I have a mistrust of OS.. maybe Im wrong.. idk.. My new OS seems real nice and honest... and not really surgery happy. He is starting out minor to try and eliminate as much pain as he can. He even said it may not be the screws causing the pain but at least then he can get a clear MRI and see what is going on
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis