Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can someone help translate what this means? MRI results  (Read 4723 times)

Offline icesk8ermom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can someone help translate what this means? MRI results
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
Good morning all( well for me anyhow I am in California)! I am hoping someone could help me understands what the following means? What should I prepare myself for?
I have been treated for patella femoral syndrome for 2 years now; recently I have been treated for PFS and patella tendonitis. I have done physical therapy and have been fitted for 5 different kinds of braces (un-loaders and patella stabilizers) none which have worked.

I do go back to the orthopedic next week but want to be somewhat prepared for what is ahead of me…

Although there was a bunch if other information on the MRI which basically all said that certain things were un-remarkable  and or normal signs so I will leave that part out.

Impression:

Focal deep cartilage defect within the medial femoral condyle measuring 1.2 X 1.0 cm

Patchy moderate grade cartilage defect within the trochlea

Low to moderate grade fissure within the central patella cartilage

Can anyone please translate this into English???

Thank you!

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Can someone help translate what this means? MRI results
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
I'm not sure, but do your leg's appear to be 'knock-kneed' (fall in alot toward the middle) or 'bow legged' (flexed outwards like a bow)

It sounds like you have some arthritic changes,

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »
From my understanding:

1) You have a hole in the articular cartilage (shiny stuff like on a chicken bone) on the medial (inside) femoral condyle (knobbly bit at bottom of thigh bone) - c.1cm2, not big, not small but certainly could be painful if on the weightbearing surface (I have similar but on the outside, can be painful).  This could be through to the bone, just says deep.  Have you had a trauma?

2) trochlea - is the groove the kneecap sits in - suggests more diffuse softening

3) damage to the cartilage on the kneecap - softening again - 2) and 3) perhaps because you aren't tracking properly and the bones are rubbing together.  Do you have a history of heavy impact sport etc?

These links will help with questions to ask the docs :)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/737 (anatomy)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2263 (all about arthritis and cartilage etc)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline icesk8ermom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
No, I don't have either one.

Offline icesk8ermom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Yes, it is painful and often times it feels as though the bones are grinding together (I say that all the time!).

I have played soccer all my life (almost 43) and still played until recently when the patella tendon swelled up like a goose egg and it hurt like mad to even walk (if you could call it walking).