Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Popping under knee, started after workout - slight sprain?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline JWaldz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First a little background info. I've always been active up until the past couple years. Ran track and field as well as cross country in high school and college. Approx. 7 years in all. I've never had any knee issues other than my "osgood-schlatter" below my left knee. In long distance it would start to bother me a little bit. Never any problems with my right knee though.

I recently decided that I wanted to get back in shape and training for the goal to lose some weight. I started the Insanity program and I am in the middle of my 2nd week. On Saturday (the 19th) I noticed that my right knee was slightly popping in the leg, under the knee (ligament/tendon?) It didn't really bother me and there was no swelling so I figured it would go away. Which brings me today, it is still popping and I've noticed it causing some soreness. Only when the knee is slowly bent then extended do I truly notice it. If I'm running or doing it in a hurried fashion it doesn't bother me much (ex: doing a workout doesn't hurt). There is no swelling nor is there any black/blue around the knee. I will add though that it does effect the range in some exercises and the knee is sore afterwards.

My question is, did I maybe sprain a ligament or tendon in one of my workouts? I'd hate to sit out a day or two in the program because it would make me get behind but I don't want it to get worse. Should I start icing it or put a heat pad to it? I have taken ice baths for about 10 min and iced it in hopes it would help but haven't noticed it getting any better. What gives??

Thanks for any responses/answers.

-J

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Popping under knee, started after workout - slight sprain?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:44:05 AM »
Hi JWaldz,

Welcome to kneegeeks. The sensation you're describing makes me think of a plica, since you have no swelling. Although sometimes cartilage damage is possible even without swelling.

Do you feel a tough ribbon-like band of tissue on the medial or lateral side of your kneecap? The plica tends to snap over the femur when the knee is moved to extension. It can be felt when the knee is fully extended and will usually be painful when manipulated.

I would suggest you take a break from strenuous activity until this issue is fixed, and see a doctor if it doesn't get better. It's never a good idea to ignore a knee injury.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:04 AM »
I would guess it is the cartilage under your patella.  Try to rest it as much as possible (no deep knee bends/squatting) and see if there is improvement.
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Maybe you have a muscle inballence which might have brought the kneecap slightly out of line and is causing the popping.  I remember when I first started with right knee pain the pt looked at both knees and told me that my left knee was tracking slightly off even though I did not have pain, just popping and clicking.  Four years and a scope later, my right knee is OK and my left is terrible.

Get a pt to have a look and if your knee isn't tracking right then they can either reccommend exercise for the vmo or do some taping.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support