Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Botched surgery due to improper rehab?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Botched surgery due to improper rehab?
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Hi there
I am a 21 year old male who hit himself in the right knee with a pulp hook while splitting wood. Had an MRI done and doc said there might be a chondral defect. He went in and did a little debridement and closed me up. He said I should be fine because I hit it in a non weight bearing region and all I did was scuff the cartilage a little. Anyway the pain went away. I am now two months post op and am having all sorts of aching pains and crunching noises. It gets worse when I walk around allot. Even when I am sedentary my knee still hurts pretty bad most of the time. I did not receive any PT after I was discharged. I was on crutches for at least 2 weeks and then went back to walking. The pain usually on the outside edge of my kneecap. Right now its on the inside upper edge. I have been trying to strengthen my thighs and VMO I am wondering about a few things.

What kind of wastage occurs from a normal arthroscopic surgery?
Could this lack of proper PT have done serious damage to my cartilage over a two month period?
Do you guys things this pain is reverse able with some PT.

I am really worried about the pain coming back in force like this especially with the new crunching sounds. I also won't be able to afford to see a doctor in about two weeks. Worried  about this maybe you guys know some stuff I don't or have had similar experiences.  :-\
Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Botched surgery due to improper rehab?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:50 AM »
Proper PT fixes a lot of post surgery issues and pain. I hsve a lot of sucess with PT.  I recommend that you see a PT before going back to your OS.

God luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »
Hi KneeZilla,

Could you be a bit more specific about where you are having the pain in your knee? Also, what kinds of exercises are you doing to strengthen your leg muscles? The wrong exercises will only cause more damage and won't help you. Another thing, you said the pain went away post op, then began after two months. Was there any specific activity that caused it to flare up again?

What kind of wastage occurs from a normal arthroscopic surgery?
There shouldn't be any wastage as such, unless you were inactive for a long time after that which would have caused the leg muscles to atrophy.

Could this lack of proper PT have done serious damage to my cartilage over a two month period?
It might have, if your muscles have atrophied and you are putting weight on the knee, it will create excess pressure on it, thus causing grinding and popping when you move.

Do you guys things this pain is reverse able with some PT?
This is hard to predict until you know the reason for the pain. A good PT is invaluable but only if therapy is the answer, and not surgery. So to find this out you need to visit a good doctor who can pinpoint the cause.

Let us know how it goes!
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 06:49:38 AM »
Exercises have been mostly straight leg raises and exercises to build up my VMO along with some IT band stretching.

Pain is mostly an ache around the outside edge of the patella especially after I have done lots of walking.

I can't really think of anything I started doing out of the ordinary. I am pretty sedentary just walking around the house and whatnot. I am not overweight either. So I can only guess about the cause of my pain. I used to do lots and lots of very improper running. I was 18 and dumb so I decided to get a better workout I would wear a heavy pack while I ran...DUMB. I never experienced any pain when I did this however so I am not 100% this is the culprit. I did however have a sports doctor tell me once that my patellas seem to tilt a little bit toward the outside based on an X-ray. He also said I probably shouldn't worry about it (I only saw him once). So far nobody has given me a clear answer as to why I am experiencing pain.

I am seeing a PT right now so hopefully we can discover the root of the problem and correct it. She seems to think it has something to do with my hips. Thanks for your advice guys, ill try to let you know how things pan out. Also I wish you the best to your knees!
Knowledge is power.
RK

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
I have multiple PT exercises for my hips and they seem to make a big difference for my knee.  I never knew that the hips had such and impact on the knees but they do (and vice versa).  Hopefully, you will find strengthening and relief with the exercises.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice maverick. I have been trying to strengthen and stretch my hip flexors. I'm not sure mt PT really knows her stuff that well  ::) butt I keep up with everything she tells me to do. I still get pain on the outside of my knee. It feels more like a muscle or a stretch than a real bad pain. Who know maybe a tight IT band? anyway best wishes to your knees guys, ill keep lurking the forum.
Knowledge is power.
RK