Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need a diagnosis what kind of doctor to see?  (Read 1093 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KneeZilla

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • Liked: 0
Need a diagnosis what kind of doctor to see?
« on: May 25, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
   So I have a brief history of my knees in my sig. I have seen one OS for both procedures. I feel like my most recent OP (the plica removal) is recovering at a decent rate. The right knee pain is back with lots of crunching and grinding. He has scoped both knees and told me my cartilage is fine on the left and slightly scuffed up on the right. This is good news but I don't feel like anybody has given me a diagnosis as to WHY I am having knee pain. Its hard to trust my PT because she is giving me exercises when my chart doesn't show a diagnosis for the problem.  Should I go to another doc? What kind of specialist would be best to give me an accurate diagnosis for my knee pain?

    The pain is usually on the outside of my kneecaps. It is there all of the time but worse when I walk or do lots of activity. Its really getting me down because it hurts pretty bad all the time. I can't really walk down the street without paying for it later that day. I can't work anymore because my job was a physical labor job. Its really effecting my life and on top of it I am afraid I won't be able to get this treated D:

    I live in Maine. I don't have a car. My health insurance coverage is about to run out (mainecare cause I was under 21). I am unemployed because of my knee injury. These are all big obstacles but I need to figure out whats wrong with my knees so I can fix it or at very least try to keep it from getting worse. I am afraid of this issue doing permanent damage just because I don't have a diagnosis.

What kind of specialist would be best to tell me whats wrong with my knees? Preferably one that works in a regular hospital because they sometimes have financial assistance programs.

Thanks guys
sorry to assail you with my worries I just want to get this fixed before it gets worse..
Knowledge is power.
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

Offline Maverick

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 168
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need a diagnosis what kind of doctor to see?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
I don't know much about the OS that you have seen.  Are they more general orthopedic or knee specialists?  If they are not knee specialists, I would go to someone that only works on knees and nothing else.

Chin up!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick