Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Slipped, knee swollen 3 wks post-op ACL reconstruction  (Read 1993 times)

Offline jhoffmaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Slipped, knee swollen 3 wks post-op ACL reconstruction
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this bulletin board but am writing bc I'm extremely freaked out.   I had ACL reconstruction (patellar graft) 3 weeks ago.  My dr's instructions were no more than 10-15kg load on my "bad" knee for 4 weeks so I am still on crutches.   Today I was walking in my house without my brace on and my right crutch slipped on the floor and I came down hard on my operated side (I didn't fall, just stepped with full impact on the operated side)   The pain was very intense for at least 15 minutes, maybe longer.   I don't think my knee rotated significantly - I just think I landed really hard on it.   I iced it immediately and took an anti-inflammatory but my knee is really swollen now.   Thoughts?   I don't have a dr's appointment for another 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Jen

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Slipped, knee swollen 3 wks post-op ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »
Most of us have one of these moments at some point in the early stages of the rehab. It will take a lot to destroy the new graft, but a trip to the hospital or a quick phone call to your surgeon's practice will be the only way you will actually allay your fears!
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Slipped, knee swollen 3 wks post-op ACL reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:27:44 AM »
This doesn't sound like the kind of incident that would compromise the graft (mostly these involve some kind of lateral movement) but definitely get your OS or PT to check it out. Only someone who can actually see your knee in person and put their hands on it can tell you for sure if you've done any damage.

Good luck! I know from my own experience that it's hard not to panic when you do something that doesn't feel right. I fell off my wobble board and landed with full weight on the operated leg three or four weeks after surgery, and was convinced I'd blown the whole thing until my PT checked it out and told me the graft was solid.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA