Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Flare Up (7 months post Microfracture)  (Read 1327 times)

Offline cheeseheadproud

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Flare Up (7 months post Microfracture)
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Has anyone experienced or heard of a Flare up?

I am 7 months post microfracture surgery (medial and lateral femoral condyle) - cartilage damage was due to a softball injury.  I was NWB for 6 weeks (with CPM), 2 weeks PWB, 4 months PT, and was just released back to activity 2 months ago.
I started back to activity very gradually - 30 second jogs followed by longer walking - nothing major.  About 4 weeks after returned to activity I started to experience some pretty severe pain in my microfractured knee.

I saw my OS's PA who requested an MRI be done.  I had the MRI and got the results yesterday.  My OS said that my knee has a severe flare up.  He said there is significant edema (I think that's what he said) around my medial microfracture site.  Both him and his PA said that it's basically like a stress fracture and treated just like one - limited activity for 8/10 weeks (no running, jumping, or high impact activities).  I'm scheduled for another MRI the end of July to see if my knee has 'calmed down'.

Does anyone else have any experience with a flare up?  How long did it take to go away?  Where you eventually able to return to activities?

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Flare Up (7 months post Microfracture)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
Yes, I have heard of this.  In fact, my surgeon thought that I had a flare up / edema at 5 months but it turned out that the MRI was clearn.  I also read another post with the same situation as yours.  Check out some of the recent posts and you will find it.

I am at 8.5 months with no running or high impact activities without a flare up :(.  Check out some of my posts for more information.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best of luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
at least yours had been healing... mine didn't and took nearly 18 months to heal. Now it's the most decent looking part of the medial side of my knee, according to the OS I saw for a second opinion on my knee. He called it an "island" in there... That's pretty bad! I'm trying Hyalgan shots, and if they don't help, I'm told there's nothing else that can be done for my poor knee but a TKR.... no point in "clean up" scopes or anything else. Walking around on an acl as loose as it gets without being gone, grade 3/4 arthritis in 2 compartments and articular cartilage missing in spots.

Rest, follow orders, and let it mend!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 05:14:47 AM »
Hang in there, DM.  Sounds like our knees could hang out together.  I need a replacement on my right.  Luckily I have a very high pain tolerance most of the time.  I had micro on my left and it feels horrible, so am preparing for a possible PKR on that one, I can't live like this :(  Hard to accept at age 38.
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed