Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What about skating?  (Read 10015 times)

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What about skating?
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
Hi knee geeks,
I read contrary things about OA and skating. Some reliable sources say it is exellent for knee arthritis, others, also reliable say it is a no-go.

Has anyone experiences with skating (versus biking and jogging?). I have OA on my patella grade 3 and grade 1-2 in the trochlea, judging from MRI. I'm only 32 years old, reason is a very bad dysplasia of my trochlea and patella and maltracking of my patella. Also other parts of my knees start missbehaving.

The thing is I was biking a lot befor problems started and I got the diagnosis. Jogging just a little and also did other stuff like weight lifting and mountaineering.

I wonder if skating would be good. It is cardio and also builds quads, especially vastus medialis, which I need with my lateralised patella. I did ice skating many winters but not any more since 2 years, so I can't really tell how my knee would react.

I used to cycle a lot, but now my knees don't take it too well. I tried to maintain a scedule of 10 km a day, somedays 20 or do walking instead. Somedays biking is good, sometimes the worse knee is getting red and hot in the evening. Have the impression walking the same amount of time feels better, but is no real cardio and is not building muscles (on my level).

What do you think about skating with OA in the knee, especially patella-femoral joint? I think it will work the legs nicely without moving the knees itself too much. Well but that's justb theory.