Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need help understanding MRI findings - capsular disruption??  (Read 1289 times)

Offline mongaboo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

I have a long  history with my knee, including 3 surgeries for a menisectomy and a microfracture procedure.  I had managed to stay out of my OS office (for my knee :) ) for a couple of years now, so was doing good!

I have had increasing pain/swelling in my left knee the past few months on and off and pain when kneeling. I've ignored it though, since I am use to chronic pain/swelling/catching due to osteoarthritis and on-going cartilege problems.

Two weeks ago today I simply knelt down in my garden and realized that I had a very abrupt swelling on the lateral side of my knee near the front of my knee cap.  It was over an inch high and looked bizzarre. I  didn't have much pain at first.  It looked like a ruptured bursae but it was in the wrong place.  I went to the ER where they x-rayed it (nothing showed up) and was told to brace it and see my OS.

I saw my primary the next day who requested referrals from insurance for my OS and an MRI. Long story short, my referrals were messed up and I didn't get my MRI until yesterday.  I just got the results today and I am really surprised by it.  Being the stubborn person that I am, used to wierd joint injuries and chronic pain, I only wore the brace for two days, crutches for four and the past week only wrapped it and have been walking around on it.  Yes, it swells very impressively so I'll then stay off it but the pain really isn't that bad so I just ignored and really only thought it was probably a ruptured cyst or maybe some scar tissue.

So I got my MRI report today and boy was I wrong!  I am now a bit concerned and also frustrated because I have yet to talk with a doctor (not calling my back) and so also so far my appt with my OS isn't until June 22 and I don't know what to do for this.  SO, here is the report:

Findings:

Acute appearing abnormality is present involving the anterior border of the lateral collateral ligament and there does appear to be disruption of the lateral patellar retinaculum, without retinacular disruption medially.  This is indicated by extensive edema within the low structures and immediately adjacent, and there is extension of joint fluid into the soft tissues external to the border of the patellar retinaculum are indicating a component of capsular disruption in addition to the retinacular injury.

That's the important part.  I am REALLY hoping that it sounds a whole lot worse than it really is.  The MRI tech kinda gave me a wierd look as I was walking away (with no brace or crutches or anything) and told me to be careful.  That was my first clue.  :(

So any help in understanding what this really means as to surgery/recovery and how to deal with it until I see my OS would be GREATLY appreciated!

2001 - orthoscopic proced. for meniscal tear, unsuccessfu. 2001 - open knee surgery for same meniscal tear and chondromalcia
3/2005 - ortho. proced. for chondromalacia/ surprise microfracture (3 cm) on medial chondyle of femur.
*Abnormal wear/tear R/L knees-chondromalacia/osteoarthritis/bone spurs

Offline mongaboo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need help understanding MRI findings - capsular disruption??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
I saw my primary doc last night to try and get some advice on what to do.  My OS won't see me until June 22 and when I tried to ask them what to do until then, they informed me they couldn't until they saw me and to ask my primary.  I told them that I believed that is why my primary referred me!  Anyways...frustrating.  I really do like my family doctor though, and he was willing to work me in yesterday and go over it with me.  (the original referring doc was a different one in their group, he wasn't available the day it happened).  So basically, he said he really didn't know for sure what it all meant either.  We read the report together and he broke down the medical jargon to what i had pretty much already researched and figured out.  Bottom line though, not being an OS, he isn't positive what the findings are and what I should be doing for it.  My knee seems stable on examination so he figures I'm okay to walk on it as tolerated.  He is going to try and get my OS to personally look at the MRI and if they then won't see me sooner, to at least advise him on how to treat it meanwhile.

I expect to hear back in the next day or two.  I would still love to hear from anyone who has some knowledge on this type of injury.  Either a torn LCL or the renitulaculum tear and joint fluid leaking.  I guess my concern is that if i keep bending my knee, isn't it just going to keep that tear open and the joing fluid leaking out?  If I do have even a partial tear of my LCL, don't I run the risk of a complete tear if no mobilized? 
2001 - orthoscopic proced. for meniscal tear, unsuccessfu. 2001 - open knee surgery for same meniscal tear and chondromalcia
3/2005 - ortho. proced. for chondromalacia/ surprise microfracture (3 cm) on medial chondyle of femur.
*Abnormal wear/tear R/L knees-chondromalacia/osteoarthritis/bone spurs

support