Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Plica Arthoscopy  (Read 2705 times)

Offline jdubb26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Plica Arthoscopy
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
I have been having medial knee pain and kneecap discomfort since September of 2011. Had 2 MRI's that showed nothing, had a shot of cortisone which took pain away for 2 weeks then everything came back, and also did physical therapy 2-3 times a week for about 2 months with little improvement.

I went to the best orthopedist in my area that specializes in knee surgery and he said that since cortisone and months of physical therapy didn't work that I should get an arthoscopy to remove a medial synovial plica. I go in for surgery on June 7th.

Has anyone had this operation before? How long before you were able to resume normal exercise? I train in brazilian jiu-jitsu and would like to get back on the mats as soon as possible.

I also have a little bit of pes anserine bursitis on my other knee, but nothing near as bad as my plica knee. Since I have medial knee pain on both knees, I think this might be a problem with my walking mechanics or GAIT. Has anyone seen any benefit with getting orthotics made for medial knee pain?

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee Plica Arthoscopy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
I had a plica excision as my first arthroscopy.  I was not in the best athletic shape at the time, but I was only on crutches for a week at the most. I wasn't trying to return to a particular sport so I can sadly not offer any advice in that department. I will say that even though arthroscopy is generally considered "minor" surgery, surgical pain is no fun and you'll have a rough first few days. Keeping up with the pain meds (even through the night) and lots of ice will get you a long way.
Good luck! I hope someone else here, has had this surgery much more recently and shed further light for you.
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty
1996 HW removal & debridement
2005 Meniscus trim & chondroplasty
5/17/12 Meniscus trim & ?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Hi There,

I had my medial pica removed and fat pad shaved in November 2009 after a fall onto the pavement while running in October 2007 and fell directly onto my right knee that took the main impact.

I had an MRI done and only showed some inflammation of the fat pad and my OS was not too concerned about my fat pad being inflamed. I tried physio, ultra sound, orthotics and cortisone injection and they all failed. 

I ended up having an exploratory scope done on my right knee and had my fat pad trimmed and medial pica removed as I kept on getting sharp pain and catching on lateral side of my knee. After my scope it went away. It took me a while to recover fully again and not an easy recovery.

Here a Blog about my medial plica surgery I done online on KG.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/blog/441

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
I had plica excision in Dec 2010.  I was only on crutches for 2 days, but it did take quite awhile to resume normal activities.  Start physio as soon as you are allowed to make sure that you don't lose too much quad strength.  I don't think anyone will be able to give you an good idea of when you will be able to resume athletics.  We all heal differently, and it also depends on your age and level of fitness.  Good luck with the procedure.  I will concur on the pain med advice.  Keep on top of the pain for the first couple of days, and I would also suggest that you invest in a cooling unit such as a cryocuff or Breg Polar Care.  These units are great for pain control, as well as controlling the swelling.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »
I had one on my left knee. One thing you should be careful about is taking it too fast. I was up walking around 3 days post op but I over did it I guess. My knee swelled up and bruised pretty bad as well as some intense pain. My doc made a comparison to scabs getting torn and to just give it time to heal. My advice is take it easy or else you can just end up prolonging your recovery. Also physical therapy is a big must for any procedure.
good luck!   ;D
Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:11:23 AM »
I was having mechanical problems with my knee in march.  Also had a torn medial meniscus.  Went in for meniscectomy and possible plica removal.  No problems with plica, but the cartilage under my patella was necrotic/ grade 4 chondromalacia.  I had microfracture performed.  I hope this isn't your case because the rehab is mental agony (you can't do anything!!), but I just thought you should be aware.
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed