Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here, tibial plateau fracture  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Danastark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here, tibial plateau fracture
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
I'm an active 40-something mom of 2 teenagers and a college student.  I work full-time as a speech-language pathologist and have 5 horses, a big garden and lots to do!  Was walking on our property the other night after a horseback ride and stepped into a 2' deep, 12" round hole my yard guy had dug for a tree, hiding in the grass.  Went down and forward over my leg, trapped at the knee and it hurt but after a couple minutes I got up, walked on it and although it still hurt, figured I just strained something.  Stairs were not easy coming up to the house and it rapidly swelled up and soon I couldn't bear weight so went to Urgent Care where they said I had fractured my tibial plateau, put in a referral to an ortho and sent me home w/ codeine, a brace and orders to stay off it.  I see the ortho next Monday.  This has really thrown me for a loop, hate being so dependent on my husband and kids, when they're at school and work it's frustrating to sit and see my house get messier....and, it really hurts!  When I see the ortho, anything I should ask in particular?  I haven't seen my films so don't know exactly how extensive it is.  Any helpful hints for how to get thru this?  I read something about 3 mo. NWB?  Yikes!  I work for the school district and there are only 3 weeks of school left and HR won't let me come to work.on crutches so I'm out for the rest of the year.  Luckily I've got plenty of sick leave.  Anyways, thanks for letting me whine :)

Offline c3neely

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: New here, tibial plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
it sounds like u wont need metal fixation/surgery?  they are just going to let it heal?  If so consider ureself lucky...i needed it and it was hell on earth.  If this thing can heal naturally  its for the better.  With that said, if u needed surgery...its not the end of the world..just the start of a very difficult process

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »
Dana - so sorry you had to join us, this is not a "club" for the weak.  TPFs tend to hang out in the Bone Breaks around the knee section - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=21.0
There's a lot of information and support there.  You might also want to check out mybrokenleg.com.  Another great support group.
On of the things this injury does it makes us dependent on others, this is especially hard on those of us who always took care of others. 
As far as your OS visit - write down any questions before hand if you can, take someone else with you to write down the doctor's answers.  May sure you understand your doctor's orders regarding weight-bearing. 
This is a rough injury to recover from, but many of us are back to our normal activities of skiing and biking.  For me I'm in better shape now than I was before due to all the PT.
Good luck on our appointment
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline smileyshaz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the club that no-one really wants to be a part of!

Hope all goes well when you see the Ortho this morning.  When you see him/her I would be asking what grade fracture you have, they are graded 1-6, which will give you a better idea of how long it may take to heal.  Also check what exercise he will allow you to do and make sure that you will be getting a physio referral asap.
Hopefully you've got a nice simple grade 1 that won't need any surgery and you'll be fine and back to your normal active self fairly quickly.

The problem with these fractures is that your knee usually has an awful lot of forces moving through it, which is why we are almost always put non-weightbearing for a time (length depends on your fracture and your ortho) hopefully it won't be too long for you but I would prepare yourself to be off your feet for a while - take the chance to catch up on all the books you've planned to read "one day"

Happy healing, let us know how it goes with the ortho!
Sharon x
Words of wisdom from my consultant "Remember why you're called a patient!"
5/10/11 - Right TPF (grade 6)
10/10/11 - Surgery then CPM machine
13/10/11 - Plaster brace
15/10/11 - Home
27/10/11 - Clips out
24/11/11 - Smaller brace, teeny bit weightbearing!
28/12/11 - Brace gone, wbat
26/04/12 - Work