Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Painful to elevate?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Painful to elevate?
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:27:08 AM »
Hello everyone I am desperately hoping someone has some advice to share. I had my 6th knee surgery today (meniscectomy and debridement) and I cannot get comfortable when elevating. As soon as I try to raise my leg (either fully supported or supported more towards the ankle) I get searing bone pain on the patella and my hip  begins to tighten and spasm. Anyone fhave a magic solution so I can attempt to get some sleep?
Thanks,
Sarah
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty
1996 HW removal & debridement
2005 Meniscus trim & chondroplasty
5/17/12 Meniscus trim & ?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Painful to elevate?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
Hi Sarah,

For sleeping, this is what I have found successful-build a wedge the width of your half of the bed out of blankets that goes from your hips to the end of the bed.  At the foot of the bed it should be about 8-10 inches high.  This will allow you to lie on your side as well as on your back and still elevate.  I would guess that your knee is a little crabby about straightening out in general right now- when you limp for a while you tend to walk with the knee bent and elevating it is forcing it to stretch out straight.  This will give you a really grumpy hamstring and you can end up like I did with bursitis where the hamstring attaches to the pelvis(literally a pain in the butt! :P) and other attachments as well.   Your whole knee is probably swollen to begin with and bruised from being worked on, and sometimes a nerve gets bumped so that screams at you too, so load up on the ice.  If you don't have an ice machine try ice packs both on top and beneath your knee and a hot pack for your hip. Don't be shy about taking your pain medication, and be sure to take it on time.  If you lose momentum on that it can be hard to get control of the pain again.

Hopefully these ideas will help or someone else out there will give you one that works.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
I found getting rid of the big pressure bandage helped immensely for sleep after both my scopes (first a menisectomy and patella tattiness debridement).

I actually found it comfortable either to actually lie on the bad leg, with the calf and foot on a pillow, or to lie on the other leg with the bad one over the top, foot on the bed if that makes sense.

I was only sore at night for a few days, strong painkillers seemed to help.  After the first scope, I had to wear compression stockings for 2 weeks, they were as uncomfortable as the knee itself!

Good luck, hopefully all will be a good in a few days - always going to be sore straight after surgery, including a scope which isn't as benign as might be made out :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »
Thank you to both of you for the words of wisdom! I think I may take advice from each of you. The bandage is driving me crazy so I think I may unwrap it tonight instead of tomorrow morning as instructed. I also think I'll ask my hubby to make me a blanket wedge at the foot of the bed. Interestingly enough, I am most comfortable when it is completely straight, any slight bend in the knee results in searing throbbing pain on my patella (where I'm pretty sure there was extensive clean up of messy cartilage). If I keep my leg straight out in front of me, it makes the knee happiest (although it's not doing anything for elevation. When the ankle is below the knee just a little bit is when the breakthrough pain comes.
Thanks again, I am hoping for a better night's sleep tonight that's for sure!
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
Is it very swollen (assuming you can tell with the big bandage removed) - if I am honest, I never worried that much about elevation after either scope.  Dealt with the swelling with ice and NSAIDs (diclofenac), did have foot/calf on cushion while lazing on sofa.   Stay on top of the pain, by taking the tablets as scheduled.  I was pretty much off the painkillers after 5 days I think
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Last night was SO much better without the bandages!  ;D I am surprisingly not very swollen at all, and tried to go without the pain meds this morning and switch just to anti-inflamitories which was not the smartest of plans.  :o
As far as arthroscopies go, this one seems pretty par for the course. Can't wait until Thurs when I get the details of the sugery - for those of you that received surgical notes, did you request those from the OS, or the hospital/surgical center?
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
Probably different here in the UK, but I got a copy of the letter from my surgeon to my GP (this is how the private sector works, not sure about the NHS).  I was given details in recovery and back in my room before discharge both times too
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15