Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post TTT - arc extension help please!  (Read 641 times)

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Post TTT - arc extension help please!
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Hello Kneegeeks,

I'm 10 weeks out of a TTT, and my physio is asking me to do arc extensions like this.
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1197

I HATE THEM! He said not to work into pain, but my problem is that I can do them without pain and then SUDDENLY my knee will click and I'll be both in physical pain, and really upset from the emotional stress of it. I am not sure if I should just stop completely.

I had a TTT on the other leg 2 years ago and had the same problem with this exercise, and to be honest I never really got past it. I still don't like doing it, it clicks sometimes, and at this point I can't ever imagine building up to doing it with any weight.

The range that is the problem is between straight and about 30 degrees flexion - going from bent to straight is unpleasant but do-able, but when I try to bend I get stuck.

My physio explained that it is just due to lack of control, but doing this three times a day doesn't seem to me to be the way to get back control....any thoughts?

:-[ Lulu
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Post TTT - arc extension help please!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »
If your problem is a lack of ability to control the extension in the range of motion from fully straight to about 30 deg of flex with the one knee, I'd experiment with a temporary "assist" by doing something like the following, whatever works, until you can improve your control...
1. use the opposite leg as a limited "assist" to help the initial lowering until you get past the uncomfortable range, then continue without the aid
2. wrap a velcro band around your ankle and attach a long strap to it and loop it over a heavy chair back next to you, and use the strap as a control to help lower the leg throug the challenging part of your range of motion, limiting the assist to the minimum needed to help, letting your leg do as much as it can, decreasing the "help" as you improve your control.

I can't advocate to try this or not, but if it were me, I'd be thinking of something like this to see if it might help me to get a grip on controlling the last bit of range of motion. Ask your therapist and see if something like this might work...
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.