Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rate of articular cartilage degeneration?  (Read 510 times)

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rate of articular cartilage degeneration?
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
Hey everyone been lurking here for a while and had a question.

Does anyone have any idea how long it take for the articular cartilage to degenerate?

I had a work related injury to my knee. I hit myself in the knee with a pulp hook (google image it). My doc and I fearing a defect in the articular cartilage performed arthroscopic surgery. He did some minor debridement and woke me up and said I looked ok. I guess the MRI can lie. So anyway I got sent home. I stayed on crutches for a few weeks just to be safe but I didn't participate in my PT exercizes as much as I should have  :-X. Anyway the pain went away for about a month of walking and average activity. It doesn't help that my patellas tilt a little but to the outside. I am concerned I allowed my VMO to waste and over the course of a month have cause myself to develop chondromalacia. I have noticed significant creptus. If I move my knee back and forth it sounds like a bowl of rice crispies (it wasn't that way before debridement).

So long story short does anyone know where I could find some vague guidelines involving cartilage breakdown and how long that takes.  I know every case is different and unique but any information relating to the subject would help. Thanks everybody best wishes to your knees.
Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

support