Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: one day since surgery and ouch!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline msumma1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
one day since surgery and ouch!
« on: December 24, 2003, 07:17:04 AM »
I have gotten to my first post op day, but am really battling with the pain at this point.  I have pain meds and a nifty cooling machine, but am now struggling with that severe pain that follows many of these surgeries. Most of you can relate, I believe. My mindset is positive but my knee hurts!!!!! I am writing this as I watch the clock for time to take my next dose of meds. Does anyone have any suggestions in addition to ise and medication to help through this first few days of pain? I know that in a day or two I should feel much better, but for now, I am really hurting!!!!!
ACL,LR,MR surgery 1998,MR,LR,ACL surgery 12/03

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: one day since surgery and ouch!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 03:14:53 PM »
I, too, watched the clock to take the pain meds exactly on time.  Unfortunately there is not much else to do apart from what you are already doing.  I had friends and my mum with me during the first few days, waiting on hand and foot.  That was nice to have the company.  I also found that I slept a lot, well dozed as much as possible when in pain.  Perhaps some videos and good books can help get  your mind off the pain for awhile.
For now, having a couple of friends and family around you will help to ease things.
Take it easy, (I know you can't do otherwise even if you wanted. ::))
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline msumma1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 05:06:31 PM »
That is so true. I am pretty well in a forced resting state right now. (grin) I do feel some better this morning though. I am still in a lot of pain, but it is a bit more tolerable at the moment. I will follow your advice with the books and videos and see if I can distract myself some today. I get to change dressings for the first time today, so I will get to see how this think is looking. It was arthoscopic this time (open last time), so I am expecting it to look much better than the last surgery looked. Now, if it will start feeling better, I will be quite happy!

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 10:05:08 PM »
I hope I am not barging into this thread, but I found a strange solution to that horrible pain that happens when you try to get up in the first few days post-op.  Since you are such a fresh victim and already on-line I thought I might have you test it out to see if it just works for me or whether it helps others...maybe it only helps after a TTT...don't know...my OS gave me a funny look when I did it in the office 2 days post-op (his protocol...OUCH ! ! ! 50+ mile drive each way and then in and out of the office).
Here goes...when I would try to get from the elevated to the standing position it really hurt when gravity set in.  Somehow, I decided to support the surgical leg with my non-surgical leg by hooking my foot under the ankle of my surgical leg and letting the non-surgical leg guide the surgical one to the floor.  Somehow the smooth action or the syncronized movement really reduced the pain.  (It didn't help that first blood rush to the foot, but I wasn't sweating bullets getting there).
I hope this strategy works for someone else.  If everyone already knew to do this don't tell me...I don't want to know what a SLOW learner I am...I mean this is my 10th surgery.

Good luck with the pain management.

Jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline msumma1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 10:14:59 PM »
Jennifer,
I will try it and let you know how it goes. At this point, I would try anything to get through the pain!!!
Thanks!

Offline chica_2626

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Why knees?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 10:24:02 PM »
Hey another idea from Jennifer's suggestion, you can try hooking the end of your crutch over the front of your foot to lower it off the couch, like the end that goes under your arm, hook it around the end of your foot and lower it that way, that works really well too!  Hope everyone is doing good!

Rachel
Lateral Release Right Knee 6-21-02
Peroneal Brevis Tendon Repair Right Ankle 6-29-05

Offline pennot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 11:52:30 PM »
I had to take the stuffing out of a pillow and put just the stuffing in the pillow case.  The softness of the stuffing plus you can adjust the stuffing in the needed areas, this really helped.  I also took an extra pain med.  This idea came from a few years ago I had my rt arm rotaor cuff and rt ulner nerve repaired.  I called the dr in the middle of the night in horrible pain and he told me to take two vicadin (pain med) and then take one every three hours rather than one every 4 hours as prescribbed.  I've just had my second knee surgery and I have to saay this one was not as bad pain wise than the first one.  You just need to rest, elevate in a recliner if you have and you'll see in another day or two the pain will subside.  Good Luck!!   :)

Offline msumma1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 05:05:06 AM »
I am going to try all og your great suggestions! So far, the knee hook one seems to help a lot. It has now been one and a half days post op, and still having pretty bad pain. From my past surgery, I knew that I could expect this, but oh my does it ever hurt!!!!!!!!!
I wish everyone a wonderful holiday season!
Hugs,
Mari

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 07:45:09 AM »
My experience is that you are heading into the worst of it (the night of the first full post-op day and the next day are usually the worst and then it starts to slowly get better).
I usually stay awake the first 72 hours to ice and elevate around the clock...my first  few surgeries I was a little lax on the icing and the elevation (compared to later surgeries) and I had the bruising from the resulting swelling to deal with for weeks later. I actually continued to elevate around the clock for the first 8 days this time.
I am pretty shocked with how well I am doing after this surgery...I went to the mall yesterday for a little over an hour  :o :o :o  I hope that you get past the initial phase and improve quickly after that.
Merry Christmas ! ! !
Jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline drillednstapled

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 11:51:24 PM »
A few years ago I had a procedure where my tibial tuberosity was filed  and chisled because the top part came of and got stuck in may patellar tendon.  That knee surgery was the worst pain I can remember.  The pain meds had nausea as a side effect and I hurled them before I experienced much relief.  So, an anti-nausea med helped me alot.  I slept more and didn't hurl the paoin meds.  However, it did take several calls from my devoted companion to make it happen.  Also, I found that stand up comedy audio and video tapes were helpful.  Video stores and area library can be helpful.  I'm having reconstrtion of ligaments on my right knee next Thursday so I've been trying to plan for my own pain too.  Hope there is some help in these suggestions.

Offline msumma1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:32:47 AM »
I wish you the very best for your surgery. I also had problems with severe nausea with pain meds, and took anti nausea medications. I ended up one night in the ER with severe pain at about day three, when even the anti nausea drugs didn't work, and I was vomiting the pain meds. I am now not quite two weeks post op, and feel I am doing well. I found the best way to manage the pain was to use ice, lots of it, and when I finally got pain meds that stayed down, that also helped. I am able to manage my pain now with OTC drugs except for times at night when I still wake up in extreme pain and take prescription meds. I haven't been released to return to work yet, but feel that, if I continue making the progress I am, that will be soon. I can now walk unassisted, and already feel much more stability than before my surgery.
Let us know how you do with your surgery. We are all here for you!