Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee/patella not healing  (Read 878 times)

Offline terrylopeman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee/patella not healing
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
Hi All,
Nov 8, 2011 had a left total knee replacement. All went well until Jan. 2, 2012 when i sat down and my knee cap broke into 3 pcs. When I got up i couldnt straighten my leg all of the way. Went in surgery on Jan 5, and was sent home in a leg brace with no bend and orders for no weight bearing. After about 8 weeks i was still having a lot of pain, the knee was verry warm and i still could not straighten the leg (and not due to pain), so i went back to the doctor. X-rays showed the knee cap had separated into three pcs again. Went to surgery on Feb 29, doctor removed the two pcs that had broken off, ran stitches along the tendon where it had been attached to the broken kneecap piece leaving long steel threads that were then run thru holes drilled int the knee cap and tied off. I am at about 10 weeks and it seems that nothing has changed even with 4 weeks of PT. Saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and he says everything looked good, but the knee is still extremely swollen, red, hot and still will not straighten properly. Two of the PT's have said that whats left of the knee cap looks like it is sitting really high. I am really worried that things have let go again but i dont see my doctor for another 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I need a second opinion. I really don't want to upset my doctor but i'm getting really worried. Any ideas or stories out there?

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: knee/patella not healing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear the severe struggles and difficulties you are having.

About the doctor, Just say ... "you may not like my questions, but this my health and I have to ask ..." and go ahead.  Don't worry about upsetting him, it is your body and he does not have to live in it.

If he's arrogant and rude, or rushes you, I don't see why you should hesitate to get another opinion.

You've had a ton of surgery, and it sounds terrible what you've been through.  I hope the swelling with subside over time.

I think a second opinion is a good idea, if you think there might be something else going on.

Best of luck.

Offline terrylopeman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee/patella not healing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »
thanks yb  :)

support