Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Time to try again! Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18  (Read 3180 times)

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Re: Time to try again! Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »
No lazying by the pool in Vancouver in November..lol!  I did go to Whistler 3 days post op though! 

The pain meds can make you dizzy, so I will tell you what we tell our patients when they get up from bed.  Sit on the edge of the bed for a few moments before you attempt to get up.  Stand up with your crutches.  Wait again before you start moving.  With your history of fainting, I would suggest that you have your husband stick close to you in case you decide to faint.  If that occurs, he should not "catch" you, but gently guide you to the floor.  Hopefully that won't happen.

Make sure that you keep yourself very well hydrated.  That should also help with any potential fainting.  I have been extremely thirsty after both my ACLr's.  That lasted about a week.  I am guessing that was due to blood loss.  I drank a lot of gatoraid G2.  I don't like regular gatoraid, and the G2 has less sugar!  I also ate a lot of protein.  I craved everything "meat" after my surgery, and I wanted red meat.  It was weird, but the body tells you what it wants!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:18 AM »
Thanks W, My husband's a runner so I know we have plenty of gatorade on hand.  I'm sure he'll share with me.

3 days post-off in Whistler makes me feel less nervous.  If you can do that I can make myself comfy at home.

I appreciate all the tips,
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »
You will do fine!  Like I said, take the pain meds regularly.  Set your alarm clock for the first couple of days.  Do not let the pain get ahead of you.  If you just keep taking them regularly, you will be amazed at how well you can control your pain!

Remember..you have the tough NL blood in ya!!

W

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
Sorry to hijack your post Jo but this one is for W....

I never even considered setting my alarm to take pain meds but I'm tipping that I'm going to be in a fair amount of discomfort after tomorrow. Alarm every 6 hours??

Thanks,

Karen
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »
Dennisknee,

It depends on how often your pain meds are ordered.  I did every 4 hours for the first couple of days.  Then I tried to see in the day time if I could go a bit longer.  When I first tried every 6 hours, the pain got ahead of me, so then i knew I needed them every 5 hours.  It went from there.  I used the alarm clock during the night.  One night I forgot to set it, and I woke up in a world of hurt, and it seemed like it took forever to get it to a tolerable level again!

I also had oxycodone and tramacet for pain.  I used the oxycodone for the first two days, and then I switched to tramacet during the day.  There was much less brain fog with it!  Everyone is different when it comes to their pain tolerances, and will be given different pain meds by their surgeon. 

I will add again that ice is as important for the pain as the medication.  Elevation is highly important as well.  The more you swell, the more pain you are going to have, and the harder it is going to be to do your exercises.  I did too much this last time, and my swelling was extremely bad by post op day 4.  My surgeon put me on aspirin before I flew home, and I think he was seriously considering not letting me fly...but he did!  So, that meant elevating on 3 pillows constantly, and only getting up for meal breaks and bathroom.  I used my icing machine constantly!  It worked!  It is really hard to stay put on the sofa or bed, but the more time you spend with your leg down, the more you will swell.  You leg HAS to be higher than your heart, or it won't work!

W

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
Hijack away Karen.  It's all about being as informed as we can be.  I've been collecting so many great tips from our veteran friends.  Technically, we're having our surgery one day apart.  But you'll have an extra head start because of time zones  ;)  Not to mention youth!

W, When I met some of my elder NL family I was amazed at how hardy they were.  My great Uncle is in his 90s. He took us all around showing us the sights and visiting all the family members.  You folks are the most optimistic and cheerful group I ever met.  After we returned home an article came out in a travel magazine that confirmed it.  I think NFLD and Ireland were neck and neck.

Take care,
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Good luck ladies!  You both have one day to go!  Hydrate like crazy today!  It isn't so bad if you are first case, but if you are later in the day, it gets a bit hard!  Oh, a little hint if you get really thirsty.  Brush your teeth..a lot!  Don't swallow any water, but it keeps your mouth wet, and the mint taste from the tooth paste makes the not eating a lot more tolerable!

W

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
I'm going to add a little note on teeth brushing.  I did that last month.  When I left for the hospital I had not looked in the mirrror.  I guess my husband had not looked at me either.  I was finished checking in at the hospital  and in the elavator going to the surgical floor.  My husband asked, what is that white stuff on your lips?  My lips were so dry the toothpaste was caked on them!  Wednesday morning I'll use lip balm each time I brush.  Also, do a mirrow check.
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline Vasilako

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »
Good luck with everything tomorrow Jo and Karen.  Wishing you both speedy recoveries.

Cheers
Vas
1 April 2012
Grade 3 ACL Tear
High Grade 2 MCL Strain
Lateral Meniscal tear
Low grade strain of proximal fibular collateral ligament
3 September 2012
ACLr with Hamstring graft
Meniscus trim

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 04:02:47 AM »
Best of luck, Jo and Karen! Sending you both good thoughts for your surgeries and immediate recoveries.

Karen - frequency of the alarm depends on how often they recommend you take the painkillers but I definitely endorse the recommendation to set it! I let the pain get ahead of me on my first night, and it was a really bad mistake. Taking the meds on schedule through the night made the first couple of waking hours far more pleasant.

Lots of good advice there from W - you can tell she's a nurse. :)

I hope all goes very well for you both.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »
Thanks All,

Such great advice too.  My CPM was just delivered!  Tomorrow at this time I should be home! My surgery is outpatient. Not much pampering here in the States.
Here's to hoping my surgeon doesn't have another emergency!  I'm first surgery of the morning so I would think I'm safe!

Was Karen's surgery inpatient?   Karen we'll chat over the weekend! 

Take care.
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline Calamityrach

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »
Jo

Good luck I'll be thinking about you !!!!

Rachel
xx

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
Hi Jo,

Thursday 19 April here in Sydney - only just though, as it's 0119. The hospital is so quiet and I've just had to press my buzzer as there was a small issue with my CPM that's now been rectified with a few safety pins! Got a fresh bag of ice and been to the toilet. I'm snuggled (as much as one can snuggle with a leg in a CPM and a swollen knee full of stitches) back into my bed and ready for more sleep.

I'm looking forward to going home in the morning. There's no place like it! I hope you're home by now and doing well. Thinking of you.

x Karen

PS Dennis is still mad after having all his dressings changed...right down to the steri-strips! Got some good photos of him though!
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
Re: Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
Hi All,

4 weeks tomorrow post surgery.  I just returned from my OS check.  Time to give up the brace.  I thought he would say use a crutch for awhile.  He said no, you are on your own. HUH??  So, I slowly hobbled out without my brace on.  I was like a baby taking first steps.  I'll do this in house but until I can feel more steady when I go out I'm taking a cane or crutch for balance. 
I can use my pool now!  I can use my real bike not just stationary.  He pretty much said to do whatever I feel comfortable doing, including driving  8)

I asked about my ankle.  It is has been painful and swollen.  I get shooting pains in it.  He said he doesn't think it's from the knee.  Sometimes back problems cause pain in ankles.  I had not told him for a week now my back has been causing me all kinds of trouble.  Interesting.  The pain in ankle did start at the same time as my back went out.  My PT has been helping with my back issues and it's doing better already. I think it's my crazy way of walking.

Yesterday at PT I had my evaluation.  ROM @ 140.  Extension -4 on my own -2 with help.  Quads are still lacking but he felt when I lose the brace that would start improving more.

I'll cut back on PT. I was doing 3 x a week.  Now I will do 2.  PT said do my routine twice a day on my off days.

I feel very good about everything.  I'm about to get on my stationary bike without brace!  No more clunk clunk!

I want to thank you all for the support.  This site has been a Godsend!  I have been given so my support and helpful advice.  Friends and family are great.  But after they ask, how are you doing they really do not want details.  Sometimes you want to say something more than, OK.

Thanks again!
Jo

01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear