Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recent mpfl reconstruction and meniscus repair  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Cjlynn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent mpfl reconstruction and meniscus repair
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
Hi, I recently (6 days ago) had my MPFL reconstructed, I am surprised at the pain and the instability that I am feeling in my knee joint.  I left the hospital with no post op treatment plan and I am lost of what should be normal or what my limitations should be.
I came home wrapped in a tensor bandage and on crutches, no brace.
I am experiencing a burning sensation in my leg when I stand, but it's not there when leg is elevated.
I am looking for some advice and or stories of other previous MPFL reconstructions, just so I have an idea of what I am looking at for recovery. I don't see my surgeon for another week and a half.
Thank you!
Frequent patella dislocations thru adolescent years
1997 - scope and lateral release
Summer 2011 - dislocation at work
May 2012 - MPFL reconstruction and meniscus repair

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
Re: Recent mpfl reconstruction and meniscus repair
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
Hey :)

I'm over a year post-op MPFLr. You should definitely call your surgeon's office and see what you're allowed to do because every doctor has different protocols. You should be icing and elevating your knee. The burning could be blood rushes, I've never had them before though. Try getting up slowly. Also, your leg probably feels unstable because of your muscles shutting down.

Like I said every Ortho is different but I came home from the hospital in a brace and weight bearing as tolerated. I spent five weeks on crutches and three months in the brace because of complications. This was my fourth surgery so set backs were expected. Plus, I'm the queen of complications. Anyway, I started PT at 2 or 3 weeks post-op. I can't really remember. I have a post-op diary in the post-op diary 100-300 section.

Good luck and call your OS!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline Cjlynn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
So I am a week and a half out of surgery now, pain at times is completly unbearable, and I have now recently started to get a pins and needles feeling at the incision site on the interior side of my knee.
I am starting to become frustrated at the lack of activities I can do, never expected to have such a timely recovery, I suppose I underestimated the level of surgery. Post-op appt. is scheduled for next Thursday, hoping to get some answers for the OS then!
Frequent patella dislocations thru adolescent years
1997 - scope and lateral release
Summer 2011 - dislocation at work
May 2012 - MPFL reconstruction and meniscus repair

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
By all means – An mpfl reconstruction is a major knee surgery and recovery is going to take some time and effort. But the first few weeks are the hardest, and while your knee won’t be 100%, after that - normalcy will resume before you know it. So, hang in there. The immobility early on is frustrating. Good luck at your post-op appointment, and do ask your OS ALL of the questions you’ve posted here.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
The pins and needles are probably from nerves firing. MPFLr recovery is going to be frustrating. This is a big surgery. You're going to have a few hurdles to overcome but when this is all over, you'll look back and it won't be so bad.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

support