Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Weight Loss Buddy(ies)?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 16
Weight Loss Buddy(ies)?
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm ready to start trying to lose some weight - about 15 lbs. I have pain in both knees after TKAs & several other surgeries so I have to try to lose the weight without much exercise. Is anyone interested in being a "diet buddy"? I don't think people who don't have leg pain understand how frustrating it is to want to be in shape but you have to do it without being able to run, walk, do aerobics, etc.

Let me know if you're interested!

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Weight Loss Buddy(ies)?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
Its really a challenge, I've tried upperbody exercises to lose weight but theres only so much you can do.

I've managed to lose weight by diet mostly, I basically stick to this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Injuries-Natural-Way-Muscles/dp/1412030056

I don't think its even necessary to purchase the book, chapter 10 is really the only thing I've needed, and Google has indexed some of it online:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=q7bjfwAbkCwC&lpg=PA1&pg=PT167#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would say pages 172 - 173 pretty much sums it up.  I stuck quite strictly to the guidelines and, perhaps ironically, I have lost almost exactly 15 lbs over about 6 weeks.  I've done a little bit of exercise on a rowing machine for 15 or 20 minutes a few times a week but thats about it, I don't think the rowing does much its the diet. 

I feel so much better now, I don't think I'll call it a diet, I just might stick to it permanently.

The only cheats I have is I do eat meat once in a while (the book says to avoid, exept fish is allowed, but i felt no meat is too hard to stick with for me), and I'll have chocolate occasionally , maybe a little bit once a week.  Also, I haven't bothered with the 'green food supplments' or 'cell food' supplements discussed in chapter 10.

I'm going to try and drop another 30 pounds,  hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:42:25 PM by yb »

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »
Hi MyKnee201,

I'm in.  I started the New Year committed to being my ideal weight  by my 60th in June.  January 21 I fractured my leg and tore my ACL.  At that point I had lost about 10 lbs.  Realizing I would be facing surgery I was more determined to stick with my program.  I am down about 30 now.  So, it is possible to lose without working out.  I haven't starved myself either.

Surgery was almost 4 weeks ago.  It has been slower since plus hard to  really get a good read with swelling and such.  I have a month and a half until my 60th so I need to kick it up a notch.  Count me in!

Take Care,

Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Hi,

Yb,

Thanks for the info. I looked up the google pages. I have to admit I don't really have the will power for a very strict diet like that. I do eat a lot of fruits & salads but I have to have my meat & carbs. Thank you for the information though. I am impressed with the progress you've made - I'm sure you'll reach your goal!

Jo,

Have you followed a certain plan to lose the weight? I'm so impressed with you guys who lose the pounds while in pain & having surgeries! I got onto Weight Watchers online back in September & lost about 6 lbs but then seemed to plateau. Then came Thanksgiving, then Christmas... I said I'd get back on it the beginning of the year but here it is May & I've gained the 6 lbs back & still haven't gotten back to it. I only did the Weight Watchers for 3 months. Now, I've found Wiki Weight Watchers which is free - which helps when you're paying hospital bills, copays, etc.
They have a points plus calculator which is if not exactly the same as Weight Watchers, it's close enough for most people. You have to keep track of your points yourself, chart your lost (or gain!) yourself, but I can do that.

I think my worse problem is when I'm really hurting & I feel like snacking & I just don't care about the weight - all I'm thinking about is the pain. I'm hoping if I posted a note instead of eating the snacks, that might help me keep on the straight & narrow. I think having the support would make the difference.

I'm very impressed that you guys are losing the weight without doing the serious exercising!

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »
Hi MyKnee2010,

I did take off this weekend for Mother's Day.  I decided I earned it.  Now time to get back on the eating healthy wagon.

I have been doing a low carb program.  I don't eat bread, pasta or any flours for that matter.  I use cracked wheat, quinoa. I guess for me the trick was if it is made with flour I stay away from it.  I eats lots of fish, lean meats, fruits, veggies, egg beaters, Greek non fat yogurt . I use steamed mashed cauliflower as my potato fix.  I microwave spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. I try to be creative so I don't get bored.
Before surgery I made lots of healthy TV dinners to make my husbands job easier.

I had a few incentives keep me on track this time around.  I had two older sisters, both died too young. One died last year.  Both parents same thing.  45, 46, 59, 62.  Two brothers have had back surgery before turning 50.  I have a back that gives me all sorts of trouble.  I DO NOT want back surgery.  I don't see they are any better.

My own cholesterol and blood pressure was high.  I have always been active and faithfully worked out. BUT, my hobby is cooking and eating ;-)
I was having dizzy spells and had a fainting spell in November and the doctor felt it was from the meds I take.  With that in mind, family history and turning 60 I decided to get serious.  Then January 21 I fainted again.  This time I fractured my leg and tore ACL.  Talk about incentive!  If my meds were making me faint I needed to get rid of them.  I continued to lose weight and was taken off my BP med and my cholesterol med has been cut back as that is way down.  I think I'm on a small dose because of such a strong family history for heart disease.  If I make it to 63 I will have out lived all 4 grandparents, mother, father and 2 older sisters.  I have not had any dizzy spells since giving up my HBP meds!

I'm retired so I have the time to invest in preparing low calorie, low carb meals. Pre surgery I was making juice drinks for our lunch.  Our son had given us a juicer for Christmas.  I look forward to getting back to that.

Tomorrow I see my OS.  I'm hoping I can lose the brace.  Perhaps by next week the crutches too.  I'll find it easier working around the kitchen again.  My husband has been wonderful trying to help me stick with my program.  He's a runner.  Pounds just drop of him.  He was funny. Shortly after my surgery he was helping me get out of a chair.  He said, I can't imagine what this would have been like if you hadn't lost the weight.  I didn't kick him with my good leg.  He was right.  I think the recovery has to be easier without the extra weight.  I'm 10-15 pounds from my ideal weight.  I think it's still possible to reach my goal by my 60th next month.

Take care and good luck!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
I forgot!  We shpould pick a weigh day.  Perhaps once a week.  We don't have to give our weight, just what we are up or down.  Right now my weigh day is Wednesday.  I can change that if it doesn't work for you.
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
What a great topic! First and foremost we need to realize we are all at different levels of activity/capability with our knees and need not be to hard on ourselves if/when we see something working for one person and we either canít do it, or it doesnít work for us.

I want to share my back story on this topic for those of you who are discouraged it canít be done with a bum knee. I initially hurt my knee 3 yrs ago. 2 yrs ago, I knew it still wasnít okay, but I also knew I was overweight and that could be contributing to some if not all my problems. So, step one for me was to address the weight issue. I started hitting the gym with my unstable knee and all. Biking and the elliptical worked great for non-impact cardio, in addition to some weight training for strength. I know what some of you are thinking, ďI canít do that much w/out intolerable painĒ Well, 2 months into this (and about 15 lbs!) my knee went out on me again playing volleyball. That effectively ended the amount of work I was able to do in the gym for a good 6-8 wks. BUT, it also made me focus on diet, I was determined to continue on a good path. So, w/ a focused diet and extremely minimal exercise (5-10 very slow minutes on a bike) Ė I continued to lose another 20lbs over those 6-8 weeks. As my knee Ďhealedí and strengthened, I learned to work around it in the gym and really listened to it for when it needed a day off.

As a disclaimer: Iíll admit I also pushed through plenty of pain to achieve my goals; I would never encourage this to another individual though.

Fast forward to a year ago. Knee was still unstable, and needed to be addressed. I had surgery this past September. Before surgery, I lost a total of 65 lbs! My knee was better for it, my recovery better for it, and my OS(s) more committed to treating me as they saw the commitment I had towards myself. Iím now at 75 lbs total - 2 years after this journey started. Iíd be lying if my knee and weight loss journey werenít intimately connected. They are and I hope to close the door on both of them this year. In short Ė I still need to lose about 25 lbs yet to hit my goal and love the idea of us supporting each other. I have friends with similar goals, but they definitely donít know what itís like to work around a limb thatís not 100%.

Overall, I think it was a balancing act of activity + diet. But I do think that diet is more important than the amount you can exercise. For some people thatís a strict program they can follow, for others itís something else. What Iíve noticed is whether itís one diet plan, gimmick or another Ė they all boil down to making practical, healthy choices. I personally donít like diets and really just forced myself to change how I prepared my food, the amount I ate and went from there. And eating out lessÖ We all have different vices to control!
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
Good job Allyd!  Keep up the great work!

I guess we need to decide the best way to support each other.  What can we do to make this work?  I enjoy getting tips on products, recipes and such.

Take care.
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:29 AM »
Hi,

allyd - Congratulations! That is so great - just losing that amount of weight is so impressive but to do it with a bum knee is really amazing!

My story sounds kind of dull next to you guys! I have had 7 surgeries on my legs in the last 3 1/2 yrs including having both my knees replaced. I have gained about 15 lbs over the last 3 yrs due to the amount I've had to reduce my activites. I keep thinking my knees will get straightened out & then I can back into shape. After my last appointment with my OS, I've come to the conclusion that I probably have several more surgeries in my future & it may be 2 - 3 yrs more before my knees are better. (I refuse to believe that they will never get better!). Anyways, I've decided I'm not going to wait to try to at least get back to the weight I was before all this knee stuff.  I have quite a bit of pain in both knees, but I am on my feet a good part of the day in my job so even though I can't do much for a workout, I do get exercise throughout the day.  I am going to try a Weight Watchers type diet - it allows you to eat everything but you have to keep track of the points each food item represents. You just add up your points until you've used your daily allotment.

I did good today! Even though I had a very frustrating day dealing with the medical & insurance systems, I stayed within my points limit for the day. Just thinking about having to report that I blew it today helped me keep the snacking under control.

Joval - I think Wednesday is a good day to report a weekly weigh-in. I agree we just mention whether we went up or down. We could say why we thought things went well or not so well. Tips are good too - like my tip of the week -- Animal crackers are low in calories & satisfy the urge to crunch something. If you're having a bad day & are fed up with your Dr., PT, Insurance carrier, etc, you can also think of them as you bite the legs off the little animals! :)

Take care,
Phoebe

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
Joval, life is not worth living without bread.  :D I am totally sedentary at this point and struggling to lose about 20-30 lbs (1 stone=14 lbs) so this is a fantastic thread. I can't exercise but I'm watching what I eat and I'd love the motivation and to hear other people's progress.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
Hi,

It's wednesday - first weight check in day?!  I just started this so I'm just recording my beginning weight - not going to say what that is!  :)

Anyone else want to check in? Don't list your weight - just the number you've lost or gained. You're welcome to say what went well or not so well this week. It might give others some new ideas.

Phoebe

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
Good morning,
My weigh in showed I enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!
My husband is going up to Boston next week to run a half marathon and visit our kids.  One of my brothers will be coming for a visit while he's gone. My challenge will be, how to be a good hostess and stay healthy.
Ler,
I have a more difficult time with the pasta than bread.  I just picked up some FiberGourmet pasta.  It's 40% less calories and lots of fiber.  I'll to a taste test sometime soon. 

Good luck all!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
I didn't think anything had calories on Mother's Day - just like on major holidays & birthdays! ;) We've been using pita bread & tortillas a lot instead of bread. For lunch today I made a small salad & put it in a pita bread. I kept the dressing on the side & dipped the sandwich in as I ate. Very good!

Phoebe

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
One of my brothers will be coming for a visit while he's gone. My challenge will be, how to be a good hostess and stay healthy.

Could you make him food that he likes but you don't? My husband wants a strawberry rhubarb pie. I agreed to do it because I don't like rhubarb so I won't be tempted to eat any of the pie!

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
Could you make him food that he likes but you don't?

If only there was such a thing!!  There isn't much I don't like.  That has been one of my problems. 

I could rely on my bum knee preventing me from being a good hostess.  But, he's a great cook and will want to take care of me.  I think I'll just be honest.

01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear