Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fractured patella and torn quad  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Amg123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured patella and torn quad
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:39:52 AM »
Hi everyone

This is my first post, although I've been reading the boards for several months now. I'm looking for anyone who may have gone through or be going through the same type of injuries as me.

I'm 41 yrs old, female and in good health although I have had several previous scopes and a tibial osteotomy on my right leg due to arthritis. On Jan 15th of this year I fell while ice skating. While I was initially told that my patella fracture was vertical and did not require surgery, after several complaints to the doctor, a CT scan and 2 MRIs  I was told that not only was my patella fractured in 4 places but that 30% of my quadriceps tendon was torn also. I had surgery to repair both on April 16th  and am now 3 1/2 weeks post op. My patella was wired and screwed back together and the tendon attached with anchor suture. Altogether I have been in cast for 17 weeks and am very worried about how/if my leg will recover after so long - it is severely atrophied. I am also feeling a lot of pain on the inside of my knee - could that be the screws or wires that I'm feeling?

Any advice on what to expect - been told I can start rehab in another week or so.

Thanks

Anne-Marie

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Fractured patella and torn quad
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Hi Amg123,

Don't give up hope. You can recover from your injury and get back to normal life. If you search this site for patella fracture you will find people with the same injuries and their experiences. Considering the fact that your cast has been on for 17 weeks you will probably experience difficulty in range of motion. If it doesn't improve, ask your doctor about scar tissue buildup.

Good luck and keep posting!
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline Amg123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:31:36 AM »
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! I know it will be a long road but I am hopeful that life will get back to normal eventually!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:32 AM »
Yes, that long road.. been on it many times.. You will find plenty of people here who are on it too.

Are you in rehab yet? How is it going?
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

support