Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: stilettos + broken patella?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline lush

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
stilettos + broken patella?
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
Hi everyone.

I broke my patella and had surgery on it around 2 weeks ago. Today was my first day of Physiotherapy and I am very eager to walk again. I didn't experience any pain and I was wondering how long it will take before I could walk in heels and/or drive? I know, I'm sounding extremely shallow but I'm tired of lying in bed all the time (I had a car crash)

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: stilettos + broken patella?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  It really depends on the type of fracture, which can vary from cracking just slightly, or can be broken into many pieces.

I would think that walking in high heels will put more stress on the patella.  Activities such as walking down stairs can put more stress on the patella ... if you are in high heels the motion of walking becomes more similar to going down a step, which is going to put more stress on the bone.

While your fracture is healing, you definitely do not want to do anything to overstress it early on.  Let the fracture heal well, and take it a day at a time.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but a patella fracture is quite a significant injury and the initial period, at least, are critical to it healing well.  Focus on walking barefoot or in regular shoes.  Again, it really depends on the type of break.  Often, a fracture takes about 8 weeks to heal, but it all depends, your OS will know the typical timeframe, and probably take x-rays and see how it is healing, maybe a few x-rays over the next few months.

I know its a drag sitting around after surgeries, I've been there.  Think of the rehab like medicine ... it sucks having to take it, but the long-term benefit outweighs the short-term discomfort.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:41:12 PM by yb »

Offline lush

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: stilettos + broken patella?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
Thank you for replying.

Ironically enough, when I asked this question, I was not aware of how painful and tedious physiotherapy would be. I'm starting to walk now but I barely bend my knee (if I do at all!) Now I worry I might not even be able to walk again if my knee remains this stiff. Did you experience the same feeling? (I'm only assuming you've had the same type of injury)

My patella was broken into many pieces. Some pieces were thrown out and the ones left were "patched up" in a figure of 8 kinda surgery (I'm vaguely quoting my orthopedic doctor)

My right broken kneecap seems considerably larger than my left good kneecap...will it always be this way? or will it go back to its original size when all the rods are taken out?