Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 10 year old swollen knee and limp?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline cazz32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
10 year old swollen knee and limp?
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
Any HELP or advice would be great please!! ???.My 10 year old son plays football at academy level,around 8 weeks ago he said his knee gave way but after a few mins he got back on with the match,didnt think anything of it untill 7 weeks ago thats when our trouble began!.He finished training one night and came off with a limp and said his knee hurt,after we got home i looked and saw that his knee was swollen!we iced it and rang the coach who sent him 2 see the physio,he said it could be osgood schlaters rest and ice should sort it!the following week it swelled up again so took to the G.P,who said knee is out of line,rest and do some streches.We did this for 4 days and the knee got very sore and swollen couldnt bend or get up the stairs with out hutring :'(,so back 2 G.P who gave antiinflamotries and 2 weeks rest said he must have had a knock and would be back playing within 2 weeks,yey we thought!but did this happen no!!big swollen knee lasted 10 mins out of 55 mins on pitch,so back 2 G.P again was seen by another doc who said he think his knee is pointin out instead of straight and maybee the schin bone might be twisting causing the knee to be pushed sideways!referred to see a orthopedic surgeon,and told to carry on streching and to play half matches and limit the amount he does,but he can bearly run!very confused as what 2 do for the best!so not letting him do nothing!any help or advice would be brilliant.from a very worried mum!and confused dad!thankyou.

Offline Daniel4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 10 year old swollen knee and limp?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
First off the best thing to do would be to use the RICE principle and ask to see the orthopedic surgeon again and tell him nothing has improved(maybe get an mri scheduled to see in detail)
Secondly, dont worry too much, the fact he was able to walk around and play for 10 minutes at one stage shows it should be OK

I am sure others here with further knowledge than me can help( i have only experienced a dislocated kneecap)

Offline cazz32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:44:04 AM »
THANXS.I hope you are right!!We are waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon,i hope it wont take long for the appointment?Cant wait to see him running around again hes so down :-\.just want to know whats happend and whats wrong with it. ;).cheers!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
It's probably best for your son to take a break from sports for a while until you know what the problem really is.. It's hard for kids to rest but it won't do him any good to injure it further.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »
Its always so hard to see a child get hurt.  Since you have a while to wait before you see the orthopedist, you might want to write a note to your son's Phy. Ed. teacher explaining the situation if you haven't already done so.  I used to teach grade school and I know that kids that age will do what they are told in class, even if it hurts.

Hope your son is on the road to healing quickly :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline cazz32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
Hai!thanxs for your advice!we are praying that the app wont take long!We just so worried as he now walks with a limp all time just not nice to see him out of action and low!but hope it will all end positively! ;)

support