Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: de-lamination of the cartilage  (Read 1263 times)

Offline coachdave

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
de-lamination of the cartilage
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Hi All,
I just became a member today & this is my 1st post.
I am a 66 year old elite age group Ironman triathlete.
Last summer I was having knee pain on my right side & after a few cortisone injections I got a MRI & was diagnosed with a torn meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery in October & everything has been OK. Several weeks ago I had the same thing on the left side. I tried a few injections & they did no good. I could not run & was entered in a 1/2 Ironman race in St. Croix on May 6th. The MD said that since I could not run & that another arthroscopic procedure would be necessary eventually he suggested that we do it & try some aggressive PT & maybe I could run. The procedure was done on April 11th. 5 days after I was able to cycle easy on a stationary trainer. 1 week later I ran for 10 minutes on a treadmill. 2 days after that I increased the duration to 20 minutes. All this under the MD's approval. I was also going to PT 3X a week. On Sunday April 22 I attempted an easy run outdoors. It hurt & after 20 minutes I stopped. My knee swelled up. The next day I went to the MD & he extracted 25 cc's of fluid. I stopped all PT & any exercise. 1 week later I was still in pain so I told the MD I thought that I should get another MRI because I felt that something was not right. I did that on April 30th & saw him the next day. He told me that I had de-lamination of the cartilage. There was no evidence of this in the 1st MRI. I think that the MD was too aggressive with my rehab but that is after the fact now. He wants me to wear a brace & use crutches for 2 weeks. Then just the brace & no activity for 4 more weeks. He hopes that the cartilage will re-attach. I have read about prolotherapy, stem cell, orthovisk etc. Any information about my recovery & chances of running injury free again would be appreciated along with any suggestions about what might work aside from just rest. Thanks

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: de-lamination of the cartilage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
Hello,

Could you elaborate more on what de-lamination of the cartilage is? I don't think that's a term we hear very often on this board.

Sometimes you have to consider the possibility of giving up running if it means protecting your knees. Many here have had to do that, myself included..
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: de-lamination of the cartilage
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
Hello
I recently had an arthroscopy and part of the findings by my OS were "The lateral tibial plateau itself was slightly irregular and on probing it was clear that the articular surface over the lateral tibial plateau was mobile indicating delamination between the articular surface and underlying subchondral bone."

I am due to see my OS tomorrow for my post op consultation, I am hoping he will elaborate on the finding because he goes on to say that the prognosis is not good and that not much can be done except to avoid impact activities in the longer term.

Not sure if this is the same kind of damage that the OP was referring to?
19th Feb 2012 Damaged knee falling off horse, banged leg on jump
18th Apr 2012 MRI indicated significant bone bruising
30th Apr 2012 EUA arthroscopy, MUA, MFX medial femoral condyle
17th Jul 2012 Cortisone injection into Fat Pad

support