Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here & 2 weeks after TTO and don't know what I can or cant do  (Read 10314 times)

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New here & 2 weeks after TTO and don't know what I can or cant do
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
 :)Well my Os took my brace off tuesday & I walked away grand no problems.  He asked me about my other knee I just said just said no & thats because it was no way near as bad as the operated leg & I can walk up & down steps no problem on it.  My left leg have dislocated a few times but it happened so far apart. I hope I made the right decision. Anyway I am to see him again in six months time & I can always change my mind.  I feel at the moment its too soon to be thinking about it yet & that I need time so as to get my right knee back to full strength & as close to normality as I can.  I told him it was the longest 3 months ever & his reply was: " whats 3 months of a lifetime which is true I know, especially now that my knee is fixed.  I also told him I don't really know how a proper knee works & my operated leg don't feel normal & his reply was that I have an abnormal anatomy & that my knee will never be normal & I will probably experience some pain from time to time.  I had a quick peek of my file while waiting in his office & it was typed out that I had a Patella Femoral Stabilization Operation with a TTO & then the handwriting I couldn't make out. I was to take away my brace just incase because it will only be thrown out.  I know I will look back & think it was the best decision I have made & wished I had done it sooner. 

Every time I try to speed up my walking I get a little needle pain in my knee so I stop.  When I am out & about I do get alot of stares even a few giggles the way I walk especially when I am trying to hurry across the road.  My husband wants me to use crutches outside so that people will know what is wrong with me but I prefer to go without.  At present I do walk like an old woman while at the same I am only 38 & I usually look younger & act younger than my age.  In my head I feel like I'm in my mid twenties while at the same time my leg feels stiff like 80.  I am trying to bend my knee more to try & get ahead of physio in the morning, but can't seem to get it past 90, it just feels so tight. I have tried the excercise bike also but can't get to pedal the full circle.  I know more than likely I will get there eventually. I am just wandering now will she work me harder now that the brace is gone. 

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
Hurray for getting rid of your brace. Bet it feels good to leave that behind now and maybe in a year or two, it will all seem worth it.

I sympathise on the funny walking...I have been doing that since the second week since I've had no brace or crutches since then. Even though the crutches might make it easier and look less funny, you are doing better for yourself to go it alone. It does get easier with time. I am still kind of slow but I think I've sped up in the last few weeks and take about half the time I did a month ago. Keep up the good work and hopefully your physio won't be that much harder without the brace.
04/4/2012 Left knee TTT, LR, arthroscopy

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, I am so happy not having to wear my brace woo hoo !  I went for my physio appointment last friday & the excercises she gave me to do are:

30 Quad clenches 3 times a day.
30 SLR's with 1 lb weights
30 leg lifts while sitting on a chair going from a bend to straigthening my leg & back again with 1 lb weights.
For hips, I am to lie on my side with one leg bent & raise the other, hold for 5 secs & rest for 5 secs as many as I want with no weights.
I am to do bridging excercises while lying on my back I am to lift my bum off the floor & she told me to watch my knee any pain Im to stop doing.  ( To be honest I haven't done any of these yet, I am going to start this tuesday).
20 mins on the bike,  she told me to rise the seat as far as I can as I couldn't pedal the full circle with the seat raised I am now able to achieve this.

On the bike I can only manage 15 mins & it because of my other knee, not the operated knee seems to get a bit uncomfortable feeling like a needle is stuck in it.

I am walking around alot more now & getting alot of stares with it also while sometimes complete strangers asking me whats wrong with my leg.  My husband is constantly asking me to take the crutch so that people may not stare as much.  Although yesterday we took the lads to the park where there was a street arts performance festival on.  We got there at lunch time & by 4 p.m. my knee & ankle swelled up, I was also a bit sore, so then I took the crutch off my husband which I was glad he had carried it around with him for 3 hours prior.  It was a great day & when I came home & put my feet up the swelling came down very fast.  I hate this stiff feeling when I  am sitting for a while & my knee feeling so strange.  I love riding the bike, coz my knee feels the most normal then.  I thought I should mention aswell that my scar is nearly 8 inches long over I failed to upload the photos.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
Been a while since I have been on.  Been out & about more now that I am back driving, only doing short journeys.  I am doing the excercises no problem now : ) except the bike the knee thats not operated feels like a needle is sticking in my knee lately which I am going to mention to the physio.  My operated knee is feeling alot better, its not swelling as badly as it was, only just a little bit.  Sometimes though my knee feels alittle weak in the evening & I feel like Im going to fall but don't.  I just looses my balance alittle.  I am also going to ask her is there a way I can overcome my fear of steps or maybe its too soon yet & my knee isn't strong enough.  I will soon find out anyway, not much more to report

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
25th July 2012 to 29th August 2012

I got aload of new excercies to do from physio.  Here is a list of them:

Mini Steps - using phone book, grand going up fear of going down.
Bike - Do pushes 12 reps build to 30.  At present I am doing 30 mins at 5 on the resistance scale.
Weights on bed.  only doing 20 1 1/2 lb weights now, I was doing more only I was on holidays there for a while.
Weights on table 1lb weights 10 reps can't seem to do anymore.

During the month of August, I visited Paris, which was brilliant & it helped me get over my fear of steps.  I can now no problem go up steps leading with my operated leg and going down steps while holding onto the railing can't seem to let go yet.  Little steps I can go down now no prob but the larger deeper steps I am a little fearful.  I am still getting a little weakness in my knee especially if I have been walking for a long time but the good news is my knee haven't dislocated or subluxed since being operated.  My knee does feel a little heavy sometimes & is still too sore to kneel down on.  Now that I am five months post op, it has improved an awful lot, thank god.  I have seen the physio again recently & I am to keep up with the steps, weight lifting and now I am to do wall squats. 

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
Sounds like you are going well, Fogie. I sympathise on the steps issues...I'm starting to improve going up but going down is a bit harder. I am still using my very tall son as a support to go down some steps when we leave a regular place he attends. There is no railing...a few weeks ago I thought I was doing well but got to the last couple of steps and stumbled badly so have to rebuild my confidence.

We will get there eventually but I think it's a matter of patience. My OS told me it could be up to 12-18 months more of working on my knee but I'm doing the right things...just have to be patient.

I don't envy you the weight lifting. I'm supposed to be doing sets of squats with weights but I'm finding it really hard and often painful after just a set or two...so taking it slowly.

Anyway, hang in there and you'll be getting down stairs as well as up. :)

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, I'm so sorry for taking so long to reply back. It has been months since I have checked in on Kneeguru.  I hope you have overcome the steps.  I can go upstairs no prob without any railing & going downstairs I am holding onto the railing at the start but by the time I'm near the bottom of the stair I am leaving go of the railing yeah !!!  Its just trying to build up my confidence, using the stairs whenever I can which is not that often, its just a pity I living in a bungalow.  My knee is still a bit sore to kneel down on & I am gone very lazy at doing any excercises since I have gone back to normal living & its so busy.  I excercise now once a week.  The good news my knee is really good & my other knee haven't gone out since either.  So I have told my OS that I didn't want to operate my other knee & I have been discharged yeah!  I have been getting a little needle pain in it alright which I never told him.  He told me that I could ring his secretary any time if I changed my mind. Next goal is to try & get fit & maybe start jogging before the summer, fingers crossed.

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Just in case you check in again, glad to hear everything is going so well for you, Fogie, and hope those pains you have don't cause enough problem that you need to change your mind and have surgery on the other knee.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, everything going well here.  Some days I wonder especially during the cold days but Im glad I made the decision not to.

support