Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here & 2 weeks after TTO and don't know what I can or cant do  (Read 10312 times)

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: New here & 2 weeks after TTO and don't know what I can or cant do
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »
Yesssssss to the SLRs!!!!
At 10 weeks out of surgery, I can now do a not-that-impressive victory dance on your behalf! (shuffle shuffle).

And congratulations on your wedding anniversary, your plan sounds so good. I hope it's a good day!
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
Thanks Lulu I am really looking forward to the day I can do a victory dance too.  My mood have been up & down like a yo yo the past week but I am back on track again. 

I went to see my OS yesterday & I did the SLR for him yeah.  Then he put on my Donjoy brace on & told me to lift leg off couch.  I was a little scared but I did it.  He told me that I must change the flexion 30 degrees more  on brace every two weeks myself.  He is booking me into physio & I will see him in 6 weeks & thats when my Donjoy brace will be coming off.  Also he told me that I can take it off in bed & in the shower to be extremely carefull which I am.  He took the crutches off me & told me to walk away & go.  Scary stuff, I just gave him alook & he gave me back crutches.  I walked to the office without crutches but kinda clinging to wall, scared out of wits.  Then I had a little stumble & nurse said to use crutches going out to car but start around the house. He said to use crutches for long journeys only.  Anyway last night I went to my son's football match & walked across pitch with crutches.  Which was grand but took me ages & I really enjoyed being out, having a chat with a few mothers & watching my son playing football.  I was wrecked when I came home, slept till 9.30 a.m. & only woke up because my husband was bringing me breakfast in bed.

Today I have tried walking alittle without crutches but I am too scared so I think I will only try it when my husband is around so to have someone just incase I fall.  I am walking around in the crutches, not leaning too much on them for support & hopefully I will be confident enough to ditch them soon.  Haven't met the physiotherapist yet.  He told me to ring them & make an appointment & he gave me a sheet to give tp them but the receptionist took it off me & told me that they will be in contact.  I think if I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I will ring them the following day, otherwise I mightn't hear from them until after tuesday.  I want to know whats happening before the long weekend.  Only for ye I probably would of never being able to do the SLR, thanks  :)

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
I think my surgeon did the same thing to me last time; after a good xray at about the 7 week mark he took the crutches away and said 'good, walk now!'. I didn't..... This time it was kind of the same, he said I could go for it, but also said it would take 2-3 weeks to get off them. Last time, I found it so so scary. He seemed very pushy after my first TTT, although over the months years I've been under his care, I've realised he's actually not very pushy, he's just quite curt, and I was feeling pressured because of me own terror, not his behaviour. It's pretty normal to feel scared I think. Don't get all worried because the OS says to only use crutches on long journeys - you may think that means you must get walking instantly, but it will take a little time to get going.

Well done for getting around a little without the crutches. It's really early! Clinging to a wall probably isn't doing you many favours if you're really stressed about it. You need to be calm and build your confidence slowly. Also, when you walk wonkily you get into bad habits which are really difficult to break. It's more important to walk well than to rush it by a few days.

Here are some 'baby steps' ideas:
If you're on your own and still nervous of falling, use both crutches but try to walk really upright and put full weight down every step, just using your crutches like stabilisers and not leaning on them too much. That way you can get used to walking crutch free, but if you have a wonky step then your crutches are right there in your hands and you are completely safe. Safety here means you won't hurt yourself, and you can concentrate on the walking itself.

When your husband is around, you can try with no crutches, him walking backwards and you holding his hands. Like a toddler! My physio had me doing that for a while when he was trying to convince me I could manage with no crutches!

Try using just one crutch. I think ihis only works if you have the kind like this:

The under arm ones I've never had, not sure how this would work. Anyway, if you've got the canadian kind, then you put the one crutch on your good side (seems wrong at first, but if you put the crutch on your bad side then you have to lean onto your bad side to use the crutch, and end up putting all the weight through the bad side which kind of defies the point of the crutch). When you get good at that, you could try turning your crutch around and using it like a walking stick to help you balance as you try to walk with a bit less support. I'm still using one crutch out of the house, although no brace. It's mainly to warn people I'm coming slowly!

Anyway, good luck!

2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
Thanks lulu for the great advice, & you are right about the OS.  I just felt so scared at the time incase I fall.  I am extremely cautious.  The wedding was great, but very tiring & I was only partially weight bearing on recovering leg for the day because I knew it was a long day.  I am starting physio tomorrow yeah, had a little difficulty trying to organise someone to mind lads & to give me a lift because my husband had made plans but its all sorted now thank god.  I am excited & anxious at the same time about physio, glad to be finally starting & also hoping that it wont be too painfull.  I have started walking around house with crutches not really leaning on them for support very slowly but when I don't have crutches I start limping badlay its probably something mentally I need to get over not feeling confident enough to walk on my own.  I will definitely try my hubby too doing the toddler walk & hopefully I willl be able to walk properly & gain more confidence the more I do it.  No more news, will hopefully have alot to say tomorrow.

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
Fogie, I found it really daunting to start walking without crutches or brace at first. But because I was forced into it, I just did it slowly and gradually got better because I was using those muscles that had been inactive. And I used walls and my husband's shoulder a lot for support when needed earlier on...but seem to be okay most of the time now. Hope your first physio session goes well. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:40:13 AM by Lorikeet »
04/4/2012 Left knee TTT, LR, arthroscopy

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, I am glad to be finally starting physio.  I should really get around to upload some photos, only I seem to be alot more busier these days, hopefully next week.

She started me off doing the SLR's which I found out I am not doing them properly.  I am bending my knee slightly every time I lift.  I am just finding them so hard to do.  I was only able to do 2 or 3 perfect SLR's.  Then she got me to bend my knee while sliding my foot up towards me with my brace on, up to 30 degrees.  There was no taking off the brace.  That actually wasn't too bad, just felt a bit of pressure maybe that was due to the fact I took painkillers 30 minutes beforehand.  Then she asked me to walk without crutches, I did with a limp but when I was slightly holding onto bars & she showed me how I had no limp.  She told me as I stretch my leg out forward tighten up muscle around knee & then bend when the foot goes back.  I am now walking very slowly but properly I hope, with one crutch around house.  It feels like I am making progress at least.  I am to do 10 SLR's  :o  Hopefully I will get there & maybe the more I practise the easier it gets & I am to squeeze muscles everytime I need to lift my leg.  Also I am to bend my knee with brace locked at 30 degrees flexion 10 times every hour, thats it.  Next week I will be unlocking my brace to 60 degrees.  Thats all for now.

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
That's a good start on the SLRs, at least and I'm sure you will get better in no time at all. My physio made me stop doing them when I first saw her after surgery and I haven't had to do another one since then. I do have other exercises that work some of the same muscles, though...and I'm pretty sure I'd have no trouble doing one now if I tried.

I found with the walking that I was quite slow at first because I could feel just about every step. Now I often forget about it and start falling into bad habits so have to slow myself down to do it properly. It's a slow process, this rehab after surgery business.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, it definitely is a very very slow process, but hopefully well worth it.  At the moment my recovering leg feels alot more stable but I am wandering maybe that is because I am still wearing the Dunjoy brace & it might be a different story when it comes off, please god not.  The walking is very slow even though I am walking only in house.  I find I have to think about every step otherwise I go all wrong.  When I am doing my SLR's I think my knee hurts a bit when I don't rise it properly but I seem to improving anyway.  This morning I went for a cuppa at a friends house & after being there for nearly 2 hours my leg swelled up & it felt dead while also having pins & needles.  I have only done 5 sets of 10 slr's & 10  30 degree knee bends.  Only thing thats getting me now is not being able to drive.  Its my husbands birthday tomorrow & father's day soon, I hate not being to take him out but I will definitely make it up to him when I am back on the road again.  I would just love to know how long more will that be & maybe book a family holiday where I can do all the driving & he can sit back for a change.  He is non stop driving between dropping & picking up lads from school all at different times & the same goes for clubs the lads are in.  At least when I get the other leg done I will be alot more organised, even though I think my husband is dreading it more than me, knowing now how much work is involved at home.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
7 weeks & 6 days post op.

Walking around now with one crutch & no problems.  I am able to do the SLRs properly now, I think.  Leg swells up alot in the evening & sometimes stings a bit.  Not taking any medication though.  Tomorrow I must change my flexion to 60 degrees on my brace & I am meeting the physio in a couple days time.  I am suppose to be taking the lads to a wildlife park next week by train as a treat but I will ask my physio does she think it will be ok just incase.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
8 weeks & 6 days post op.

Well I tried uploading photos but I am doing something wrong they just don't seem to upload.  I went to physio anyway at 8 weeks post op & she told me that even though my brace was at 60 degrees flexion I was only bending at 45 degrees.  So she dropped my leg over the side of the bed & we managed to bend it to 50.  That night  I went out for a meal with the toddler group.  A friend picked me up in her van which was a bit higher off the ground  than a car, just lets say I looked hilarious trying to get in & out of it.  I was sitting down for nearly 4 hours & when I got up I was very stiff & I felt like my grandmother taking me ages to get back to the van. I am not using any crutches around the house but when I am walking outside, I use one crutch.

The physio gave me new excercises to do.  I must roll a towel under my knee.  I am actually using one of my small bed cushions.  Then I am to press the back of my knee to it  while raising my foot a little.  I must do this 30 times & hold my leg up in the air for 5 seconds with 1 minute breaks in between.  I must do this 3 times a day.  I am also to hang my leg over the side of the bed, I use the kitchen table because it is higher off the ground & do leg raises while bending it a little more when lowering my leg.  I can only manage between 5 & 10 of these twice a day.  I basically get my husband to help me here because I am finding these quite hard to do for some reason.  The odd time I thought my knee was sliding a little, it hurts aswell sometimes doing that excercise.  The physiotherapist told me that I am not straightening my leg fully.  I told her that I was resting my foot on top of the arm of the chair for a few minutes every day, thanks kneeguru.  She advised me against going to the Wildlife park saying that she reckons it will be too much for me & that more than likely my leg will swell up alot & I will be in alot of pain afterwards.  So I didn't go.  I promised my boys I will take them in another couple of weeks & we brought them to the toy shop & McDonalds instead.  I am after getting myself a cheap new excercise bike in the sales & I will start using it when I am finally bending my knee to 90 degrees flexion.  Then I am hoping to buy myself a new bicycle & go out cycling with the boys I can't wait. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:17:21 PM by Fogie »

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
Sorry to hear you had to cancel your wildlife park visit but it will go a lot better if you able to get around a bit than if you are struggling. I wish you well on increasing your ROM to where it should be. I can imagine that is very frustrating to find you are only at 45 degrees right now. I think the quads exercises will help that a lot. Hang in there and hopefully you'll be out cycling with your boys soon.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
Thanks very much Lorikeet, I can't wait to get this brace off, start driving & cycling with the boys.  Only 3 more weeks & my brace will be coming off.  I am 9 weeks & 1 day post op.  When I am sitting for a while I get very stiff.  I am still alittle swollen but it has come down alot.  I will be changing the flexion in my brace to 90 degrees next week & will also be meeting the physio.  I must ask her about stairs & steps because I am only using good leg going up & down steps & stairs while my operated leg is just dragging behind.  Just in case I am to be using my operated leg.  I am a bit too cautious & protective of my operated leg & maybe I shouldn't be.  Still finding it hard to do leg raise when my knee is bent.  SLR's are no problem now.  No much else happening.  Take care !

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
10 weeks & 5 days post op

I saw the physio a couple of days ago & she had to give out alittle to me to buck me up.  My calf muscles have strunk alot & the quad muscles she said aren't too great either although she said she can't say for sure because my knee was still fairly swollen.  She told me I need to start walking more or else my muscles will just waste away.  I know I haven't been walking much, especially when I am so slow at it, the day just goes so fast & when you have 3 young boys.  I am making excuses again.  Anyway I have set an alarm on my phone 3 times a day that I just go out & walk with no crutches.  I am walking 10 times around my house coz I like to stay close just in case.  Soon I will start walking up & down the hill outside my house when I just gain a bit more confidence.  I still can't drive yet : ( 

I changed my dunjoy brace flexion to 90 degrees & was told that I was bending only up to 80 degress which I think is a big improvement on 2 weeks ago when I was only bending 45 degrees.  I have lost 7 lbs in weight but I reckon that is because of loss in muscle.  I am eating normal & I am not as active as I was.  I seem to tire very quickly so I am going to try & become more active & I have asked 2 friends of mine that if they have time that they drive me to the nearby park for a change of scenery to go walking.  So that I can get out more.  My friends brought me out to a Zumba party last night which felt great to get out but I missed not been out on the dance floor all night, usually I am first out.  I did take a crutch with me when I got stiff from sittting down for a while.  I just needed a little support for a minute just to get my knee back in action.  I did go out for one song using my crutch for the guitar solo lol !

Excercises still the same, only to walk more.  She wants me to walk 10 - 15 mins 5 times a day.  So hopefully by the time I am to take off my brace my muscles will be back to normal & maybe even stronger, I hope anyway.  Just dreaming now of the day when things are back to normal.

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
You have my sympathies. I'm struggling to keep up with my exercises although I am trying to keep active every day...either lots of walking, using the stationery bike or doing all the physio exercise...and/or fitting in physio exercises in with activity. But I think I had an advantage in that I was out of a brace really early and that prevented the atrophy and muscle shrinking you've had. I think you will find it easier at the start to do more walking if you don't have to negotiate hills. ..although that might build up the muscle faster. I find it wears me out quite a lot. Tomorrow I have to be somewhere where there's a big hill and steps to handle and I am not looking forward to it as it is such a struggle to get up the hill.

Hope you can keep up the walking as much as possible and get up to the 90 degree flexion you need to reach.

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
Thanks Lorikeet, I hope you have managed walking up the hill & the steps.  I have been walking up & down the hill outside our place now 5 times with the past week but I do try & avoid steps, I do feel support with the brace on.  Steps seem to frighten me a lot more but I think that is due to my knee giving way sometimes before the operation.  I can't seem to get my head around walking up & down steps with my operated leg.  Before the operation my knee would dislocate sometimes so I probably need to get over the fear of my knee giving way.  I am now 11 weeks & 5 days & I have been walking alot & I am doing my excercises at least 3 times a day.  My leg seems to sting a bit the odd time & if I rest up & take off the brace its gone.  I think my calf & quad muscles are starting to look a bit better although my operated leg still is an inch smaller than my left leg.  Between now & tuesday I am trying to get it back to shape that is when they are taking the brace off me.  Always when I take the brace off at night my leg just feels strange & weak.  My brace now feels like apart of me, its been so long since I have been without.  At the same time I am so excited at getting the brace off & really getting started on the road back to normality which I reckon won't take long please god.