Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lorikeet's TTT, lateral release and arthroscopy 4/4/2012  (Read 17188 times)

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Lorikeet's TTT, lateral release and arthroscopy 4/4/2012
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
Sorry for delays in replies but every time I read messages here it's on my iPad and it's just a pain to type messages for me there.

Eleven months post-op

I'm still plugging away here but it seems there are improvements happening, just taking a long time to occur. I must admit I'm finding my knee seems a lot more stable recently, which is a nice change after so many months of my knee giving way so often. It's not so much that it doesn't give way but it seems to happen a lot less often and mostly it just feels like it's going to drop out from under me.

I'm still going to the gym six days a week and sometimes I go walking on top of that to get my dogs out for some exercise. I started doing a class at the gym (it's a video class) called Kinetics and it does a lot of lunges, squats and abdominal work, all exercises I hate. BUT, I have been doing it and surviving...well the first time I tried it I was in pain for a couple of days but I've kept doing it regularly and today I finally felt like I am showing definite results. The squats didn't cause me half the pain they've been doing and I think I'm actually getting a lot stronger there...the carry on effect seems to be my quads are getting stronger...when I first started doing the class those muscles would tire out so that they simply stopped working after a while...but that seems to be less of a problem now...:)

Stairs still aren't exactly easy but going up is getting faster and less uncomfortable and clunky. Going down is also improving but I still mostly want to have something to hang on to when I do it.

Fogie, you may want to check with your doctor or physio about your knee's wobbles just to be sure...but you may be right about the less frequent exercise having some effects. My OS did tell me back in September that it could be another eighteen months before I had maximum function possible and that was even with me doing the right things.

Adobec, I'm glad to hear you have been released to do most activity now but you may find you have to be patient about reaching your full potential with activity. Hang in there and hope your recovery continues to go well.

Tiggs1986, glad I'm not the only one with the insecurities...but like you said, it is getting better with time. Looking forward to a time in the future when this is a long ago memory. :)
04/4/2012 Left knee TTT, LR, arthroscopy

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
One year post-op
It's been exactly one year since my surgery so I guess there's an anniversary or something in that. :D Give or take a few minutes past midnight...

I don't have much to add from my last update but I guess I'm doing pretty well right now. My knee doesn't seem to give way much these days so I think my hard work is paying off. I still feel some weakness sometimes but it isn't bothersome like it used to be and I always recover easily. Stairs are going more smoothly, both up and down...but I still don't feel confident going down so still like to hold on when possible.

Exercise is still the same and the effects are becoming more obvious after seven months of full time fitness. The weight is finally dropping off a bit more quickly and the improvements in my quads/hamstrings/glutes is becoming much more obvious. I am even able to squat down on my heels for a while, which I've never really been able to do for long before....even when I was young.

Even though it's going pretty well right now, I will mention some negatives of sorts...mostly for the benefit of anyone trying to compare recovery.

I still find my knee usually tires pretty suddenly once I've done a certain amount of activity. I find I don't have much warning before it starts hurting either and I am slow to notice the signs much of the time. Ideally I just need to limit exercise/activity to prevent this but that's not always possible. I probably should also face that having just turned 48 and having arthritis in my knees, it's likely there will always be limits. 

My knee still swells up sometimes...I don't notice this too much but in the past week I noticed my left knee looked heaps bigger than my right. Even right now it's feels like it's a bit swollen. I couldn't say for sure that it ever got back to the size of the other knee so maybe that's just how it is now.

I also sometimes get a painful knee popping feeling, often when I start exercising...sometimes it settles down but other times I have to stop what I'm doing. I haven't queried this problem yet since it isn't constant or even that regular...But it does worry me when it happens since it's quite painful at the time.

Kneeling is painful most of the time even if I have something to cushion my knee. I tend to shift weight to the right side and manage it for a short time...but it hurts too much to keep going for long.

Last thing is not exactly negative or positive...or perhaps more rightly is a bit of both. I have notice during my exercise that it's my right knee hurting more often than my left now. This is a switch after years of the left knee being so troublesome. I think it's fairly likely I will need the same surgery on the right knee at some point. Hopefully I can delay the need until next year.

I didn't mean this to be so long but did want to share details to help others who might want an idea of what they could expect at a year, particularly those who aren't that young any more like me. :) And also those who started out unfit. :)
04/4/2012 Left knee TTT, LR, arthroscopy

Offline Fogie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
I am delighted to hear that you are doing so well & you are still keep up with the excercises.  I am not seeing my doc anymore & have signed off coz I know I am not doing any excercises now & should.  I keep saying I will start tomorrow but will start when the lads are on holidays from school.  I'm just so busy here.  I also want to thank you for sharing your posts on the road to recovery.  Thanks again & all the best.

support