Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weird pain?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Weird pain?
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
Since I've been going to a new PT for a while now and she's gotten my knee calmer and some of the muscles waking up (yay!) I've been able to slowly bend it (mostly it's a pegleg although I can bend it passively to 134) and sometimes I sleep with it bent or try and watch tv in that position but it's excruciatingly painful on the medial side of the patella and the front and I have shooting pains up and down my entire leg down onto the top of my foot.

I'm wondering if this is because leg muscles are atrophied esp. my vmo which is pretty much dead-one of my torn ligaments is the medial patellar retinaculum which I think renders the vmo incompetent. Since the pain shoots up and down my leg I'm wondering if it's only muscle weakness but the medial pain is excruciating and when I unbend my leg after a long period it's almost like it's been numb-I can't even describe the pain or the odd sensation. I don't use my pain meds very often because the doctors are so stingy but this pain has been so bad at times I've taken pain pills for it.

When I extend my leg after it has been bent it's also very painful and I can't stand up for several minutes because it takes that long to straighten it due to pain and I can't put weight on it for a few minutes either.

I've never read anything about this kind of pain and have a difficult time even describing it. As my knee calms down this pain is getting more pronounced. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I should add that I can't do more than 20 leg lifts or I get a terrible pain later under the patella which my PT says is only tendon pain. So the strengthening is happening but slowly. A lot of strengthening exercises irritate my knee which is still swollen so it's kind of a catch 22.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:26:29 PM by LER »
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Weird pain?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Before I had a lateral release, I had severe lateral patella instability and an undiagnosed torn MPFL / medial patellar retinaculum.

My pain wasn't nearly as bad as yours.  However, there was a uncomfortable feeling as if every quad contraction would pull my kneecap outwards and it would at times get pretty irritated on the inside of the kneecap.

I would also get pain under the patella, but more on the lateral side, because the kneecap was pushing out so hard on it from the lateral instability.  A leg extension was impossible for me, there was intense pressure on the lateral side of the kneecap.

If your knee was working fine before your injury, and then the kneecap became unstable in a fall, the first thing that comes to mind is stabilizing it again by reconstructing the MPFL .... however, thats just my first thought, maybe seeing Dr. Jamali is a good option.

It also sounds like aside from the patella issue, you may have a whole other bunch of injuries that happened.  I think Dr. Jamali also treats other knee / hip problems.

My advice - don't put your body through intense pain if there is a way to avoid it - I think what your body is trying to tell you is 'please stop!'

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:19:02 PM by yb »

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Weird pain?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
Thank you, I'm seeing Dr. J next week. I feel like I baby it too much, I mostly walk and sit and stand with my leg fully extended and while I haven't lost any ROM (134) It doesn't seem good to not move the muscles. I don't know. (Obviously :)) Oh, also bending it while lying down releases some of the pressure on my back, I got back pain and spams from walking improperly although the back stuff was way before the knee stuff.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T