Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy+recovery  (Read 987 times)

Offline squeezeevans

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Arthroscopy+recovery
« on: December 23, 2003, 12:21:01 PM »
Hi!
I've had many problems with my knees now getting progressively worse for about 3/4 years.  My os has just given me an outline of surgery that I will need over the next couple of years to get it sorted and the first of this is an arthroscopy to remove some torn cartilage in my right knee in February.  I was told this was quite a simple and common procedure but I'm still a bit worried.

Is it surgery that can be done in outpatients or will it require a stay in hospital?  Do you need crutches after this kind of surgery and if so for how long?  Also I have just started to drive and I was wondering how quickly I could get back to driving?

Any answers to these questions would be gratefully received as well as any other advice.

Thanx in advance

Louisexxxxx

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Arthroscopy+recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 01:47:04 PM »
Hi Louise, I am sorry to hear that you are going under the knife, it's never an experience I enjoy..but if it helps you get some pain relief it will be well worth it in the end.
As far as the surgery that you are having. It should be outpatients..it always depends on the doctor, but for this sort of procedure I have never heard of a stay in the hospital...so that's a good thing ;).  Most ARthroscopic procedures on knees are outpatient and even some not arthroscopic ones are outpatient.
As far as the crutches that depends on what exactly they do and your surgeon.  If they stitch up the cartilage tear they will usually put you on crutches to protect it, but if they cut it out...sometimes they won't put you on crutches..it's really a surgeons preference, so he'd be the best one to ask.
As far as driving, well that all depends same as the  crutches what they do exactly and how quikly you recover, again question for the surgeon.
I hope that helped....there is a section below for cartilage tears and things...maybe you will find more answers down there.
GOOD LUCK
LInds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthroscopy+recovery
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
Louise

My arthroscopy was really quite easy to cope with, I went in as a day patient, had the procedure including a debridement and trimmed up some cartlidge.  Went home that same day without crutches and was just told to take it easy for a week or so.  I wasn't in that much pain and I was back driving after about 10 days.  Good luck and try not to worry too much.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements