Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chiropractor  (Read 978 times)

Offline Crystal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chiropractor
« on: December 23, 2003, 05:13:56 AM »
Has anyone had experiences with a chiropractor for their knee pain.  I have had problems for several years now that have resulted in 4 surgeries, yet the underlying problem is still unclear.  I have had years of therapy, and am just looking for other options.  I am somewhat weary of chiropractors having been thru physical therapy and was curious to hear some experiences.  Please share good and bad!
Thank you.  

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Chiropractor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 05:58:07 AM »
Hi!

On a referral from my pain management doc and with my os' blessings, I am now seeing a chiro for wqork on my right knee--a tkr gone south complete with rsd--lack of extension and flexion.

My personal take is that there is some major difference in opinions between pt's and chiros--yet the things we do are often very similar if not all of the way the same.  My chiro specializes in "ART" and is trying to relieve me of all of the adhesions.

I had never seen a chiro before and was very skeptical--but he has gotten this knee straight, although temporarily, 3 times.  He is gentle, kind and knowledgeable and cares about me a lot.  I certainly am walking better biut I cannot swear that is any more due to the chiro, the water therapy--or my best guess is that it is the nerve blocks that my pain doc is doing.

It gave me back a little hope that I am not totally lost and have a chance for a better future.  For me, that was like gold.

Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »
Hey !

I haven't tried. But why not do that ?
Everyone is special and what works for one person maybe doesn't work for another person although same diagnose. I use watertherapy, works best for me.
I also have a phys and do excercises at home every day with help by my personal assistents to continue having my movement I already have.
Wish you luck and merry Christmas !!

hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Crystal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 04:38:34 PM »
Thanks for your quick responses!  My parents are urging me to give it a try, I am just skeptical.  My knee problems aren't related to misalignment, so I am not quite sure what they would be able to do.  My latest experiment has been with power yoga, as advised by my OS, but that has just caused increased pain along the joint line.  My dad has a friend who is a chiropractor in the area, so maybe I will at least set up a consult.  What kinds of things/treatments does the chiropractor do??  Do they work with your back in order to treat the knee?  
Thanks so much for your advise.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 05:39:41 PM »
Hello Crystal,

Have you tried acupuncture that my Podiatrist thinks might help my knee problems and was not keen for me to see a Chiropractor but give it a try everyone different and it might help you. Have not had acupuncture yet so cannot say if it works or not.

I do not know why so many people in the medical world are against Chiropractors who seem to do a good job according to many postings on this website, have a great Christmas, Nick:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 08:40:39 PM »
My husband and I have both seen Chiropractors off and on for back pain and it helped.    Find one that is both recommended and works with, not against, conventional medecine.    If they don't start by doing x-rays and a thorough evaluation before trying to treat you - I'd be very worried.    Also make sure they understand what you've been doing/had done through PT and your OS.    

A very good sign to me was when I referred a friend and my chiropractor did x-rays and immediately referred him to a back surgeon.    Chiropractors can't fix everything - so you definitely want one who knows his or her own limitations and is seeking to compliment your health care program, not work miracles.  
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03