Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI and Knee Replacement Surgery  (Read 1200 times)

Offline bailey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI and Knee Replacement Surgery
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
My MRI indicated as follows:
1.A subchondral insuffieniency fracture of the knee in the medial femoral condyle.
2.Complete radial tear at the junction of the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  This is also a short horizontal tear in the body.  Associated high-grade chondral loss in the medial compartment as described above.
3.Focal high-grade (grade3) chondral loss in the posterior aspect of the lateral femoral condyle.
4.Focal high-grade (grade 3) chondral loss at the apex of the patella, extending into the medial patellar facet.
5.Large joint effusion.
I would appreciate it if you would please explain to me what some of this terminology means.  When I asked my surgeon he just said I had a small miniscus tear and a little arthritis.  He scoped my knee and the pain subsided for a few months but now I am scheduled to have a total knee replacement next month.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: MRI and Knee Replacement Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
Hi there Bailey,

Sorry to hear your knee is giving you grief.  I'm not sure about 1, but the last is about what your surgeon told you.  You have a couple of tears in the meniscus including one in the area that doesn't have much blood supply and doesn't heal.  Grade 1 is least and 4 is worst for arthritis.  Your high grade loss in the medial compartment is probably related to the damaged meniscus which can't provide a cushion between the ends of the bones, so you are worn down to bone. You also have cartilage loss in other sections and have fluid and swelling. I guess I wouldn't call it a little arthritis if it is enough to have a knee replacement, but perhaps your surgeon was referring to having it in only your knee.

I wish you well on your TKR.  I hope your surgery goes as well and your recovery is as uneventful as mine have been.

Linda

>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline bailey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MRI and Knee Replacement Surgery
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
Thanks Linda for responding to my questions - you have been a big help.

support