Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible ACL damage? Need advice!  (Read 968 times)

Offline Mooner6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible ACL damage? Need advice!
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Hi all, had some recent problems with my right knee after a MPFL reconstruction operation in December. In early April I was playing football with friends and I had a fall twisting my knee in the process it was extremely painful and reminded me of the pain i felt when dislocating my knee, this pain lasted only 15 ish minutes and i was able to limp home. I iced it as soon as possible and was fine a few days later. However about 2 weeks after it happened again, just walking around the house, twisting my knee exactly the same as last time. Its much more painful this time and is not healing as quickly as it did the first time, its painful to walk on and to generally move, the physiotherapist thinks it may have something to do with my ACL although i do not know if that is correct. From my understanding the ACL is the biggest ligament in the knee and is prone to problems?

I was hoping that someone who has had similar problems with this ligament can offer some advice, like how long it takes to recover, if i can play sports soon? etc etc.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Ben  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:33:27 PM by Mooner6 »

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Possible ACL damage? Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
Hey Ben,

Sorry to hear about your recent injury. Has your physiotherapist suggested that you get an MRI just to be on the safe side?

At the risk of sounding like a mother.......what are you doing playing football 12 weeks post MPFLr anyway??

I hope it's nothing too serious and be careful on that knee of yours.

:) Karen

Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline Mooner6

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
Hi Karen

My PT hasn't recommended one, he's just given me a few simple exercises to do during the day.

I've been asked that a few times. I honestly thought I'd be fine as my consultant said I should start being active again and it was only a kick about, not a proper game. would you have recommended otherwise? Anyway turns out it was a bit too soon to be running around. I guess at the end of the day I'm 17 and am impatient to get out and about again, think that's always going to be my downfall, I've waited almost 2 years for normal knees due to the left one also having being operated on in June 2010 and I guess I'm just keen on having a semi normal life seeing as I've had to take it steady through a big chunk of my teenage years.

I was wondering if you had any problems or experience with ACL problems?

Thanks

Ben :)

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:35 AM »
Morning Ben,

I'm just over 2 weeks post op after having an MPFL & ACL reconstruction, both on the left knee.

I had an MRI in 2010 after injuring my knee in a netball competition. My physiotherapist was expecting it to show a meniscus tear and all were very surprised when it came back showing a full-thickness ACL tear as well. What was interesting was that the report indicated the ACL tear was a "long standing tear" and had possibly been that way for >10 years.

At that time, I opted to postpone an ACL reconstruction. I think it was a mistake given that I've since suffered another serious injury to that knee. I guess that's why I'm more inclined to be cautious these days.

I can certainly understand your frustration at not being able to run around and do the things you love but it's super important to follow your rehab protocols to the letter. It's not worth risking re-injuring your knee when you can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd ask your PT for a really specific list of CAN and CAN'T DO's and just review your rehab protocols.

As far as determining whether it's your ACL, your meniscus or if you've just aggravated what's recently been repaired....no one on here can say with any certainty. Your PT can do a couple of tests to try to determine what's going on without an MRI.

Keep us posted  :)
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »
Ben,

If it helps, my OS told me I would be cleared for sports at 12 weeks after my MPFLr so, according to him, you're okay. But you should see what you're able to do.

I also might have done something to my ACL and/or medial meniscus but I'm 13 months post-op MPFLr. My OS did some tests (lachman's and anterior drawer) on my knee and determined I needed an MRI so it might be beneficial for you to have your therapist do these to see for sure.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA