Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need urgent advice on CMI surgeries  (Read 2596 times)

Offline liliann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need urgent advice on CMI surgeries
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
Hi, I have seen a few posts here about CMI surgeries but most of them are a bit old -from  2005-2006.
The mensicus in my left knee is keep tearing and they don't know why. I think CMI surgery could help to fix it but I already had 3 surgeries and I think that's the maximum you can have in order to be able to have a CMI. My surgeon now has another idea what could cause the tears but that meant at least 2 or 3 another surgeries and i don't know if I should let them do it or shall I insist on having a CMI.
The surgeries I had so far
2003 / left knee ACL + medialis meniscus tear repair
2010 / left knee menisectomy
2011, Aug. / left knee menisectomy
2011, Nov. / right knee ACL

Right knee is ok, recovering, no problem, but for some reason in the left knee the meniscus is keep tearing. Every time they do a menisectomy -few months later I have a tear. Already had 2 surgeries on that and this time I have a combined lateral+ medialis tear. I think a CMI could help. But what they want to do is an arthroscopy to have a good look and possible menisectomy (4th time..) to check what causes the tears. They are suspecting it is my replaced ligament. If not, they will do the CMI (another time) but they more like going to the ligament way. In 2003 my ACL surgery was done in Hungary. They drill the whole in the bone vertically while in the UK they drill it more horizontally. Anyway so they’d do a menisectomy and another surgery where they remove the ligament and fill the holes and then an ACL. I am a bit scared cause I don’t want to lose the chance to have a CMI surgery because of these further 3 surgeries they are planning . I said yes to my surgeon and they are planning to go ahead in June, but I am still skeptic and so I have one month to figure out if CMI would be a quicker, less painful & helpful way or not. Anyone has a good surgeon in the UK with CMI experience? I already had 4 knee surgeries and don’t want 3 more! :(

Thanks

Thanks

Offline liliann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Need urgent advice on CMI surgeries
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
However I have spoken to 2 doctors about CMI today neither of them told me menaflex implants has been unapproved last year.. glad I just figured out now... no wonder why all CMI posts were older and not recent and why menaflex website is not working anymore...Anyone has info about the NuSurface or any other implant still available? or any experience at all with meniscus implants? thx
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:55:24 PM by liliann »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
I believe Tim Spalding up in Warwickshire does as many meniscus transplants as any OS in the UK (probably almost single figures).  His details should be in the surgeon list in the Info Hub

Good luck  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline liliann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
Thanks Vicster! I have come accross with his name today but I live in London and so I was thinking to see Ian Mcdermott here for a second, independent oppinion.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
You could also try Adrian Wilson in Basingstoke, very highly regarded too

http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk/knee-procedures/meniscal-surgery

Assuming you have private insurance, best to check what the situation is regarding what are undoubtedly regarded as experimental procedures - insurers seem good at dancing the wriggly dance even on big corporate policies  ::) (not that I'm bitter ;D )  NHS, probably need to find a trial  :)

Ian McDermott certainly seems to know his onions, good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline liliann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
You could also try Adrian Wilson in Basingstoke, very highly regarded too

http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk/knee-procedures/meniscal-surgery

Assuming you have private insurance, best to check what the situation is regarding what are undoubtedly regarded as experimental procedures - insurers seem good at dancing the wriggly dance even on big corporate policies  ::) (not that I'm bitter ;D )  NHS, probably need to find a trial  :)

Ian McDermott certainly seems to know his onions, good luck :)

Thanks a lot

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:26 AM »
Lili,

Has anyone ever suggested you get a CT scan to check your alignment from your hip to your ankle?  If your Q angle is greater than 7 degrees I think...not sure...but if greater than say 7 degrees you are tearing up the cartilage because of undue wear do to alignment issues.  Does your leg look bow legged or knock kneed?  If you have this issue, you will cause continuous cartilage damage.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline Msjcarter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »
hi i had the same problem with my meniscus it kept tearing didnt know why, i finally found out it was valgus my alignment was off

support