Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: bi lateral knee surgery  (Read 1563 times)

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
bi lateral knee surgery
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone had bi lateral knee arthroscopic surgery, and if so, much needed advice, such as will i be able to walk afterwards, pain, and any other advice you can share would be greatly appreciated thanks  KIm
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline colettefl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: bi lateral knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Not yet but I am having bilateral arthroscopies on Thursday. This is my first knee surgery and the plan is bilateral lateral releases with probable smoothing of the back of the kneecaps but depending on what the surgeon sees when he's in there.

(Please no comments about lateral releases people, I have carefully considered and am putting my trust in the consultant. )

I have been told by my surgeon that I will be "cursing him every day for 3-4 months" with a total recovery of 12 months. Lots of physio for several months, he reckons I'll be driving after about 3 weeks. I did find a research study on the web which compared single leg to bilateral surgery and the recovery time of bilaterals was about 1.3 times as long as a single knee. I have never manage to re-find it though rather annoyingly.

My surgeon reckons bilateral is the way to go and I feel that I'd rather go through a slightly worse time but only have to do it once. Who knows how it will actually be, I'm treating it very much as "wait and see" with lots of support planned for a few weeks afterwards.

Good luck with your decision making.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
Hey Kim

What do they propose to do to the knees? I knew the one was still giving you grief but whats up with the other one needing work too? I guess much depends on what gets done as to level of pain/mobility. I would imagine that you're going to need some support for getting about the first few days even if its just exploratory scopes. Just for things like stairs/toilets etc....so difficult with both legs bummed out! I recall a couple of years back people having bilaterla TKRs...so I guess there can be logic in doing both at once....hope these ops bring some relief for you....

colette good luck for Thursday, keep us posted - a Post Op diary is a great resource for other people considering surgeries especially as you're going the bilateral route.

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
  Hi Lottie,   Well my right knee was scoped in december, but having terrible issues with baker cysts, and again meniscus in the right knee. My left knee where they did the donor cartilage, the bone died so they want to do a micro fracture to see if they can bring it back. I am having surgery on wednesday. Dont know what else to do if i wait on the left it will get worse, and my right knee stinks, so i have no choice

Collette good luck i wish you success, keep me posted on how everything goes, i was told 4 months recovery for me which is ok just want it over with

Offline colettefl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
Thanks both,  Will endeavour to post a diary after the event  :)

Offline colettefl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Kim

Just to let you know I've started a post op diary in the diary section, it's very early days but so far I'm not regretting having both done at once. Hopefully the diary will be of some use to others considering the bilateral route.

Colette

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »
HI,
 i just had mine done, and so far so good, pain has not been bad at all. I am pleasantly surprised,  wishing you a speedy recovery     Kim

Offline colettefl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
Oh, I hadn't clicked that you were being done on Wednesdy, I'd be interested to follow how you're getting on too, re you doing a post op diary?

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
no i am not doing one. I am still doing okay, maybe a little more sore today now that all the numbing they did to my knee has worn off, but still nothing like i thought it was going to be. My main complaint is that i am tired. I will go and read yours to see how your doing, hope everything is going well. I took off all the bandages yesterday, and not alot of swelling either.   kim

support