Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: swollen knee  (Read 4249 times)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
swollen knee
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
ive been exercise a hell of a lot since my lateral release and microfracture
but noticed today after 40mins run and weights that my knee was swollen up its catching a little when i bend it,no pain at all though!
it feels a little spongie around the outer side of the knee and was wondering if this is fluid on the knee?

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: swollen knee
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »
Sounds as though you've maybe been overdoing it on the exercises...

That spongy feeling with swelling is more than likely fluid - your knee may be producing inflammation as a protest against the exercise?! I think you suspect you've been doing too much by the way you say 'a hell of a lot'!

The fact you've got no pain is good, but I'd take the workouts back a step and give your knee a slightly easier time. You don't say when you had your surgery? Microfracture can take a while to heal fully, and a 40 min run plus weights is quite a pounding to give your knees.

Just my thoughts, but I'd take things back a notch for a week, remember to ice and elevate after the workout to minimise swelling, and see if there's any improvement. If it stays the same or gets worse, it might be worth a call to your doc...

All the best, let us know how it goes.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
i had the lateral release and microfracture just under 8months ago
i might be doing to much !!1
 am not sure watch has caused it running or the lunges, i went to a&e this morn to be safe they said it does has fluid in there but they dont know whats caused it either, had xray which showed nothing, so i got to wait for my physio to contact me and arrange to see him
i was running for 40mins last week which didnt seem to cause any problems, so i am guessing it might be the extra weight doing the lunges and squats

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
Ouch!

Glad the X-rays showed nothing scary, but you may well have just been overdoing it a touch...

Squats and lunges ae great for your muscle sentry, but are about the roughest exercises you can put your knees through! Time to listen to that knee - 8 months is not THAT long ago for a microfracture site, and you don't want to undo all that work....ease back a bit, give your knees a more gentie (but still thorough  ;)) workout, and see what your physio advises.

Good luck!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
easier said that done, i need to return to work, i teach sport i.e football soccer
so need to be able to run jump twist turn etc
plus i want to return to playing asap ive alrdy been out of football 13months as they took for ever to actually realise i had a cartilage problem

i agree lunges dont do they knee anygood and having weak vmo and quad muscle + been over weight due to not being able to exercise isnt helping
but unless you some how get through this and build the muscle little will change!!!

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
Yes, i can see how your job makes it very tricky! It comes down to that balancing act between what you can safely do and what you want to do... Unfortunately, even with surgery, it doesn't mean you will automatically be able to do everything you did before within a certain time-frame! You may or may not need to accept some sort of compromise, but only your doctor and your knee can decide that.

It's very true that you need the strength in the muscles to keep the knees strong, but equally you need to be careful that you work your knees within their limits - and at 8 months post-microfracture you need to get swelling and catching checked out and just make sure everything is as it should be. The last thing you want is to risk needing further work on that knee! You're obviously worried enough about it to have gone to a&e, so just take it easier until its checked out and you're cleared for the heavy stuff again. Maybe ask your physio for some less high-impact strength-building stuff for now?

Just my opinion - I'm not an expert, lol, but I've read enough very sad tales on here of people who have had to have surgery after surgery in an attempt to get their life back, and those who have HAD to accept a compromised future. It's really not worth risking your future knee health for the sake of a couple of weeks of patience...and hopefully that's all it will be!

All the best,

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
I had a lateral release and meniscus clip.They did that over a year ago. About 10m in I was doing fine at work, and I fall and land right on that knee I had the surgery on. Although most has been healed, it was still in rough shape that the fall had created a missing piece of cartilage in my knee. you have to learn to listen to yourself, and your body. If you don't you may not be able to do what you need. I am a Pre-K teacher losing out on my class time now because of my fall. Although I understand it was an accident, I still wish I could hurry up and move back into my classroom. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.....

One of my favorite quotes to help me.... "I may not be where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams.

Take care,
K
*Kay*
'Runners' knee > Lateral Release 3/11
Minor Meniscus tear > clip 3/11
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
MRI > Cartilage missing = Cortisone + PT 5/12
Arthroscopy > cartilage missing, meniscus tear, & misalignment 8/12
TTO/ACI 10/13
Healing....for now :)
instability :/

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
alrdy seen the physio ,well chatted on the phone he thinks its a flair up which he expected to happen at some point!
he said i,m surprised you havnt had one before now!
just said cut back a little on the exercise over the weekend and he will review it in his clinic on moday!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
As well as getting a little rest over the weekend, can you get someone to check your form on weighted squats and lunges if you really want to keep doing them? Its a really hard thing to check on yourself even with a mirror, and you might be losing form if you're pushing too hard with weak muscles underpinning it. Are you doing any single leg work on the opped leg? Single leg work for things like standing bicep curls, shoulder press, reach and tilt to a point in front, reach behind with other leg and forwards with other leg whilst stabilising on the bad leg - really good hamstring exercise that one....one legged BOSU work....all fabulous for muscle conditioning, core control, butt muscle activation but without the stress of some of the exercises you describe......

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
i am yes 99% of the work i do is on the bad leg maybe thats why its swelling up
i do loads of one leg extensions and one leg lunges which i started about a week ago, and since thurs my knee has swollen up
its pretty clear ive dont some thing cause this!
it does worry me that there isnt any pain,i thought the point of it swelling up was because ive injuried it again and the fluid is a protections of some kind?
or am i just worrying or nothing?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »
I'd say if it doesn't hurt and function not affected, then best to ice it, take some ibuprofen and give it a rest for a few days. Do as Lottie says and modify what you are doing for a bit, get some advice from a trainer
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:15 PM »
anyone had there knee fluid drained before? does it hurt lol

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
I have, yes!

The actual needle part hurt a bit, but only a little bit more than a normal blood test type of needle. The drawing out of fluid didn't hurt at all, and did ease the pressure for a bit.

Glad you are taking the strain off that knee a bit, hope that helps!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

support