Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi i fractured my patella 19months ago  (Read 1121 times)

Offline choc4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi i fractured my patella 19months ago
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi all,i fractured my patella 19months ago,i had an operation to clear up a few tears i was lucky enough not to have any major work done on my patella as the 3 big fractures i sustained in my knee were detained and no wiring was required.ive been through hell ,muscle wastage was to blame, i built up my quads but i still walk with a very bad limp and i struggle bending down, i cant even kick a tennis ball to the dog.ive been told by my surgeon at the hospital theres nothing else they can do, i have grade3 athritus in my knee.the physio at hospital have said thats all we can do too.so im left high and dry.my knee kills and it keeps me awake most the night, i struggle at work as i work as a welder.i love my job but i relizing i might not be able to do much more.by way my accident happened at work and im fighting work through court for compensation,and my employers denying everything. so its very upsetting not only am i left with a damaged knee ive also sustained debts.Anybody else been in a similar accident?will i always have pain in my knee?doctors told me i not aloud a new knee due to my age.40yrs old.Im gutted and i think my life will always remain in pain and with a severe limp. :(

Offline webster1661

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Hi i fractured my patella 19months ago
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
Definitely get a second or even 3rd opinion! Don't give up. How long were you in physio? What did your rom get to? There must be some more exercises using weights that you can work on building up my strength in quads? Just don't try too much too fast or you could end up doing more damage.
Just because one doc says you are "too young" for a  total knee replacement (tkr), don't stop looking into it. Research more info, read lots of threads and posts on here about tkr and ... get more opinions medically.
Your dog will appreciate it when you can finally kick that tennis ball!
Swimming is great for exercise, rom, strengthening without the weight on legs/ knees.
Good luck! Post any updates....
06/06/11: knee vs. pavement; pavement won
06/07/11: xrays confirm fx left patella
06/15/2011: ORIF surgery; 2 pins, figure 8
08/10/2011: began pt; rom 35
12/15/2011: HW removed, YEAH!
01/11/2012:  resumed pt; rom 110
02/18/2012: fell, fx left patella AGAIN :(
02/23/2012: ORIF; 2 screws + wire

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about the fact you might not be able to weld for a living anymore. Did you mostly do MIG? I just got done taking a stick class. Anyway I heard they have pretty good results with knee replacements for people under 50.

http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?Volume=79&page=575

I mean you cant ever go back after you go to a knee replacement. But I suppose this data might make you feel better knowing your not totally out of options. Anyway no matter what happens to us in our adventures with pain and disability I like to think of a quote

"If your going through hell...keep going" -Winston Churchill
Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

Offline choc4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
Sorry for the late reply ive been offline for a while due to technical problems,i do mig stick tig sub arc air arc just about everything,its a tough trade.keep up with the stick class :-) thanks for the link kneezilla lol love the name,very interesting, my docs all told me im to young but you gave me hope.i need bang on the docs door few more times as im in living hell with the pain.my good knee has now developed athitus on the inside,lifes a bitch :-(

support