Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Distal Femoral Osteotomy  (Read 801 times)

Offline BrianB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Distal Femoral Osteotomy
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Hi,

I am a 33 year old ex-football player who has had 7 knee menisectomies. The lateral compartment of my right knee is shot. My longtime ortho doctor suggested an Oates allograft. He then suggested I see a doctor who he has callaborated with on several surgeries. That doctor suggested a distal femoral osteotomy instead. His suggestion was because he felt I would tear through the new cartilage since my bones have become misaligned. Has anyone else had this procedure done? I was very active before the pain became too much for me to bear. I'm on painkillers but I'm to the point where I hate taking them. I want to be sure I can be active again after I heal from the surgery. I just wanted to hear from people who have had it done and find out if they are active now. I know I'll never play football and probably not even old-man's hockey either. I would like to be able to play softball and golf with no pain. Any comments would be appreciated!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Distal Femoral Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
Hi BrianB,

Welcome to kneegeeks! The procedure that you mention has been undergone by a number of members on this board. Just do a search for 'distal femoral osteotomy' and you will find a lot of information. Or head over to the 'post-op diaries' section and you can read personal accounts of people who have had this surgery.

All the best to you and let us know how you get on!
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.