Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any one had good recovery from a tibial plateau fracture  (Read 1679 times)

Offline kirky2k4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
any one had good recovery from a tibial plateau fracture
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
just curious to how others have recovered after a tibial plateau fracture

im 7 years on and still having a lot problems

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: any one had good recovery from a tibial plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Hi Kirky24K, Im just 3 months post op TPF and crushed calcaneum,your post scares me somewhat could you expand as to what problems you are having.I knew it was a long recovery but never thought that long.Heres hoping you find some relief from your problems soon. Im sure if you search this site there will be someone experiencing the same or similar difficulties.Take care  kc 63.  :(

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Hi again just noticed your other post .......no need to answer my questions on last post I can see with such a bad break just how you would be still finding recovery difficult. Gosh so young as well sorry I cant suggest anything Im a newbie as it were.I posted I was worried that at 11 weeks post op Ive only 70 degrees ROM I think I will stop complaining lol. I truly hope things get better for you. Once again take care. kc 63  :)

Offline kirky2k4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Yes i had no end of problems dont want sound un grate full but some time i feel i wish they had done above knee amputation as thats what i was told would proberly happwn when i first went in from the rta

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
So sorry for your problems.....its early days really for me but I think Im very lucky about 4.5 months im just on a cane now,do not have full ROM in knee or ankle and my foot is sore after walking for any length of time. But I can walk upstairs slowly but in the normal manner,downstairs is a different story. I think so far Im having a great recovery.Aching from hip to toes is the main difficulty.....as the feeling comes back it aches more. My OS said my injury was one of the worst he had seen so I guess for some people recovery is more smooth. So take care hope you find a way through soon kc 63 :)

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
I have read your post and let me start out with saying my heart goes out to you. You have been through so much at such a young age. Im 35 and Sept 24 2010 I had a fulkerson osteomey ( sorry not a very good speller), a lateral release, microfracture chrondoplasty and arthritis scrape. The recovery was very slow and very painful and as a result of everything I have CRPS/RSD in that leg. I had severe atrohpy in my quad which limited me on somethings such as jumping, running and going up and down steps normally. 11 months after that sugery I was helping a friend of mine get a power wheel chair out of her van and it fell on that leg. I had a tibial plateau fracture ( it happend aug 8 2011) I was in a straight leg cast for 6 weeks and a hinged brace for 6 weeks.. non weight baring for 12. I was miserable and it was pain like I have never felt before. Once again more athrophy set in. I did pretty good with ROM and walking. I was walking without assistance within 3 weeks of becoming weight barring. The worse part was how sore my ankle and the bottom of my foot was. That hindered the walking a bit. While I was in PT trying to strenghten my quad they noticed that my knee would grind and pop real bad and would swell up and the excerises got painful. So after an MRI I had to stop PT. It was like a catch 22.. To really strenghten my quad I would have to edure the pain of my knee which could make the knee worse or I could do nothing and stay on restrictions.. There is some joint ( can remember the name of it) that is wearing down and soon will be bone against bone. Im going to need a partial replacement but he wants to try and strengthen my quad first and give me steroid shots in the knee to try and ease the pain. My knee gives out causing me to fall and his fear is that it will athrophy worse during recovery and not really be able to hold me up. My leg and knee hurts all the time. In the center of my knee feels like pressure and it hurts on the outter part. I do have 2 screws from the fulkerson in my shin bone at the base of my knee which Im getting removed in few weeks. These kind of fractures are very painful and even though I can walk im in constant pain. Not sure if it is normal or what. It pretty much undid what the surgery did so Im kinda back at square one. I dnt know if we ever really make a 100% recovery. I was told these are very severe breaks. I wish nothing but the best for you and hope you get some relief
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis