Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can anyone help - 4 weeks post op  (Read 964 times)

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Can anyone help - 4 weeks post op
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
I am 4 weeks post op after Microfracture surgery and am still lacking 30 degrees on extension.  Could anyone who has had Microfracture Surgery please tell me if this is normal and how long it took you to regain full extension?

Thanks  ;D
2003 - Arthroscopy/Menisectomy L knee
2004 - ACL Reconstruction L knee
2012 - Arthroscopy/Microfracture L knee

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Can anyone help - 4 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »
depends on your mfx site. have you been told at pt that you need to be working on extension exercises several times a day at home? Stuff like sitting on a level surface with a light pressure applied to aid extension and just let it relax and stretch? setting a couple lbs of rice on the knee and just trying to relax and let gravity straighten things while watching tv - passive extension - is one way to go. i'm sure your PT has  given you ideas on the subject.

I'd  been down that road before and was working passive ROM nwb from the day I had surgery, I worked the knee as far as my ROM brace allowed and/or as much as I could stand, so I didn't have extension issues, just flexion due to ROM brace restrictions.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »
Dm - thanks for your reply.  I am doing extension exercises but they are no longer passive ones.  One that I have been told to do is sit with my bad leg on the bed and my good leg on the floor.  Try and straighten my bad leg and then push the stretch further by leaning forward over it which puts my weight on it.

I too was doing exercises from the day I had surgery.  I didn't have a brace because I didn't need one and my flexion is fine - it's at 105 degrees now but for the last 3 weeks I have -30 degrees extension.  My last Physio session, he got me to lie on my front, massaged my leg and then managed to get it down to -15 degrees but then when I turned back over, it was back up to -25 degrees.  It's so frustrating!!

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
ive had a microfracture done, i also had a lateral release at the same time, think it took about 4months roughly !!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Sometimes I think the anticipation of PT and being sore and achy etc can make you tense up, and make making progress harder. Have you tried applying heat to the knee as well as about 6" above and below it for about 15 min before trying to work on extension? If you can relax things and loosen them up and get the blood moving more before you try working with it, maybe then you can make some progress. Maybe using a heating pad wrapped around your knee for a while, then sitting on a hard surface, versus a soft one, ( it's hard to get some downward force going when the surface you're on gives too),  then trying to work on getting the knee to straighten some will work?

I'd try heating things to relax and loosen the knee, and sit on the floor, and put a bag of rice or ankle weights or some such on top of the knee and just let gravity take over and see if you can get a good stretch going, or maybe lean over and add a "press" to it if you think that helps. If the problem is that things are too tight, then you want them to loosen up gradually so they stay that way, and not tear anything.

Sounds like the therapist has you doing a variation of the "barre stretch" that dancers do with the heel up on the bar keeping the leg straight, then lean over, except the bed supports your whole leg. Seems to me you could do the "runners stretch" version sitting on the floor with both legs out in a "v" and lean over to each side, putting your forearm down on the quad just above the knee to work the extension, or the variant where you take one leg and tuck it up behind you and then lean forward over the leg you want to stretch like an "L". I like the idea of sitting on the floor where you take the balance issue out of the equation. what do you think?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks for this;

Yeah it feels as though it gets a little straighter when I lean over it and push.  Had another appt yesterday and after pulling and pushing on it, the physio managed to get it down to -12 but that's the best he's been able to get.

I am having Hydrotherapy on Friday so am hoping that will help a bit.  I've been told to have baths and to try and move my kneecap whilst in the bath as well so that it doesn't stiffen up.

Hmm anyway - hope something works soon - have my 6 week post-op appt with my Ortho nxt week  :)

support