Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery regrets post lateral release - anyone else?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline katehenry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery regrets post lateral release - anyone else?
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
Hello,
I had an unnecessary LR in 2007 and have suffered from severe reduced use of my leg ever since.

Has anyone experienced regret, knowing they were better off prior to the LR and deals with the consequences like me? Has anyone benefited from a regular yoga routine or any other means of dealing with the physical and mental dismay?

Thank you,
~k
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:23:41 PM by katehenry »
2007 – LR left knee, failed

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • shoulderguru.ca
Re: Surgery regrets post lateral release - anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Yes, I very much regret it. Worst mistake of my life to date. Looking back I would not have had any knee surgery what so ever, even a dignostic arthroscopy. There are too many unskilled surgeons out there and too many things that can go wrong. The body is a very complex organism and its easy for a surgeon to hit a nerve, artery, or other structure as well. I had a good quality of life prior to my surgery and should have been happy with what I had. Although I was restricted to a certain point, I still could do many activites. I feel tricked by the doctors because for years they would tell me to just live with if but when I started asking for pain killers to manage my pain, thats when they started refring me to the surgeon, even though they knew I had shoulder and back problems as well. Its really frustrating. Now Im faced with another surgery next month to try and undo the previous surgery (how stupid is that?) but am very worried about it. I just think knee surgery has too many risks and complications and in alot of cases is useless or does more harm. I really hate knee surgery. I think most knee problems can be managed with physio therapy and either OTC or prescription pain killers. Knee surgery is always a last resort. I am especially against the lateral release, the worst procedure that is used to date for knee surgery. It is such a stupid procedure. Hate it with a passion.
March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled

Offline knee2no

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:25 PM »
TOMMAX:
What exactly is a MPFL r and LPFL r?  Are these the same as the medial retinaculm and lateral retinaculum?   Is the LR and the LPFL in essence the same ligament?  I am confused with the terminology. Thankyou.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed.

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
i only had mine nearly 4 weeks ago, and although im still early in recovery, i regret having it done..walking is a nightmare at times, i can feel things moving about.. but i'll stick with physio ato build the muscle up and take it from there.. Im still on pain killers, but the pain is worse than it was before surgery!!

not sure what they're going to do but at the min its just stick with physio!!

Offline Peg Leg HCF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
Had mine done in late 2009 and have regretted it ever since, i have a TKR surgery next month and i hope my new DR can reverse it. 
Knee Arthroscopy 6-24-2006
LR Left knee 11-19-2009
Partial Knee Replacement Patello-Femoral 2-16-2011

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
A failed LR can be a nightmare.  I've been there.

There are surgeons out there doing repairs of lateral release, either by suturing it back up again or using an allograft to recreate the LPFL.  The LPFL reconstruction is quite new, so the technique will probably evolve over time.  Nonetheless, I think it is worth exploring and a lot of people have had successful repairs.

EDIT: I tried the rehab approach.  The funny thing is, the kneecap naturally tracks a bit outward, and most PT or other exercise routines would help align the body so the kneecap would probably stay more stable and not track outwards so much.  I tried strengthening and stretching after my failed LR and it made it worse!  My kneecap started to track even more medially, the LR had already caused medial instability.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:22:27 PM by yb »

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
TOMMAX:
What exactly is a MPFL r and LPFL r?  Are these the same as the medial retinaculm and lateral retinaculum?   Is the LR and the LPFL in essence the same ligament?  I am confused with the terminology. Thankyou.

LPFLr = Lateral patellofemoral ligament reconstruction

MPFLr = Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled

Offline knee2no

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
Is the MPFL another term for medial retinaculum ?
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed.

support